Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: would this be good?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:17 pm 

on the dpchallenge website there is a contest of numbers, and I was wondering if these would be an O.K. entry. If they are O.K. which is best?

I would edit some of the white scratches from the background for the contest so take that into consideration. Thank you all!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:38 pm 
Well I understand what you are trying to do, but to me they come out too flat and a little boring. The cards are also very dark and blue. Because the cards are rectangular, the picture is very symmetric and somewhat dull. All they really have going for them is the slight depth of field. Maybe if you were to have them spread on a poker table with chips (and maybe people playing) so that there is more action, and something more interesting going on. The added color would also draw a lot more attention to it with the greens, reds, blues, etc. When I think of cards, I think of guys sitting around a poker table, smoking, stone-faced, with looks of deep concentration. A moment captured.

Anyway, hope that didn't come out as too harsh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:46 pm 
Whilst I like the images you have posted, be aware (very aware) that their voting is VERY harsh!

I would say your main raeson for low votes on those images is simply because there is no WOW factor and the subject matters a bit boring, I would try and think of something that will be imaginative , interesting and well executed, having said that it isn't easy LOL. I've run 4 entries so far and my average score is 5.49 ish which actually is pretty good for the site, I've put a lot of work in and it is improving my images but I've also got a long way to go still...

So in summary, no unfortunately I do not think they would do well there but why not give it a go and see, unless you can think of something else to run with you have nothing to lose - after all if you are happy with the image what else matters? It's only a bunch of other peoples opinions anyway :)

I will say this though, be prepared to be p*ss*d off by some comments, I had someone slate one of my pictures for poor execution, poor composition and poor focus - his average across quite a few submissions is less than 4.2 - to cap that off a couple of very respected photog's have given the image very high praise:

Give it a go, I joined up with a paid membership and am thoroughly enjoying trying to think of weekly entries (as a member you can enter 2 a week and an extra on at months end - The Free Study

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:16 pm 
Forgot to mention, I like the last one (10) best. Probably the slant that I find most appealing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:33 am 

NO!!! That did not come out harsh. I wanted someone to tell me what I should do for this sight!!! I haven't gotten over a 4.5!!! Haha! This is also because I just recently figured out how to get the picture larger! Back to the photos above. I appreciate all the replies! They really helped out I am going to be doing some more tomorrow morning. I do however do not have a poker table, so I might try to do something else. Any suggestions? I was also thinking along the lines of a pair of dice? Same set up as before maybe behind a different color background or something. I was also thinking of getting a bar-code on maybe some cereal or something. I am still pondering some. Well thanks for the constructive criticism!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:02 pm 
MBrutus... ok.. i didnt read anyone above me so sorry if i repeat lol... i think your photos are a little dull.. dark and slightly boring.. now.. what you can do to fix this is.. continue to use your black background.. OR use a white background.. now you want to zoom out a little bit and use the rule of thirds.. me.. i would put it on the right edge of the frame.. shoot it.. and in black and white.. but the black and white part is just.. i like black and white better and i think it would work better for this.. also up the contrast and play with the curves to make the whites really pop and the blacks really black.. a little vignetting.. and your all set.. make sure that the white card is brighter and dont underexpose like these ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:09 am 

O.K. Thank you for all the critiques. I will be doing some more tomorrow morning. I will see what I can do with it. Would you suggest maybe two cards? Even three? Well post back please so I can do some more in the morning...

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:16 am 
MBrutus2009 wrote:
O.K. Thank you for all the critiques. I will be doing some more tomorrow morning. I will see what I can do with it. Would you suggest maybe two cards? Even three? Well post back please so I can do some more in the morning...

:)

Well personally.. 1 card i think is good.. you dont want to overload the picture.. and simplicity effect or "minimalism" is better here in mo opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:25 am 

What about a higher number card like a 10? More stuff to look at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:54 am 

I tried some more this morning... I liked this one best. I didn't have a white backdrop, so I stayed with the black and I think it would have been better with the red anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:50 pm 
Mark-A wrote:
I would say your main raeson for low votes on those images is simply because there is no WOW factor and the subject matters a bit boring, I would try and think of something that will be imaginative , interesting and well executed, having said that it isn't easy LOL.

No, it's not easy. There have been many constructive comments already posted and I can't really add any more onto that. Your underlying problem is creativity. Usually it's a case of having it, not having it, or learning to get it. It a tough one and what's my advice?...

- Tell a story.
- A card will always be a card, unless you want it to be otherwise.
- Look beyond what's there and things begin to appear.

Example below:

Entitled: Straight from the heart(s).

EDIT - fixed broken link, expanded on initial bulletpoint into 3 more distinct points; these are dissected and explained in the context of this image in my subsequent post.

Last edited by Photoj on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 pm 
Wow Ed. I'm amazed at your photo. It simply oozes creativity!!!

Great work.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 pm 
Thanks. For the sake of learning, perhaps it would also be worthwhile to briefly dissect my own image (for once).

- Tell a story. This was my thought process: love -> hearts -> gamble -> pain -> cold (Moving across a spectrum from happiness to sadness - which emotions can do)

- A card will be a card, unless you want it to be otherwise: the card has symbolic meaning in relation to love - the heart, the red for romance, some see it as a game, the dangerous nature of gambling/romance.

- Look beyond what's there and things begin to appear: the failure of love is open to representation with the cold scratched aluminium background and desaturated hearts "left" lying on the wayside. The hearts above the "love" are also upside down.

As for which interpretation I went for? I deliberately went for a spectrum. You choose to see what you see.

The EXIF and technical side to this image isn't nearly as exciting, so we won't dwell on that (D200, 35-70 2.8 @ 35mm "macro" setting, f/11, 1/60, ISO 100, external speedlight and reflector).

Last edited by Photoj on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:42 am 

Ed! you're back! Thats an awesome shot to.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:48 pm 

Is the one that I posted good? I tried to use some different things on the camera, I hope you like it I am running out of ideas!!!