Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:11 am 
http://www.pbase.com/newscam/image/96818254

http://www.pbase.com/newscam/image/96823785

http://www.pbase.com/newscam/image/96825339

Did the shooter use some sort of filter or post processing?

I don't have much experience with PP software but I don't think I can do it in Photoshop CS3.

Any idea?

Best Regards,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:14 am 
It's not my area of photography and I know little about it, but that's infrared photography. Perhaps someone on the forum who knows more can enlighten you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:36 am 
Thanks Photoj!

I googled infrared photography and found out a bunch of stuff. Hopefully someone could pop up and enlighten me with the basic stuff such as the choice of IR filters and shooting tips. In the meantime, I'm going to read what I just found out.

Cheers,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:13 am 

Hi Tony,

This isn't my area either but I do know that all cameras have an IR cut-off filter in front of the sensor because sensors, both CMOS and CCD, are sensitive to IR and that sensitivity would destroy the colour balance for normal photography. So, for best results you probably need to stick to camera models that others are already using successfully as not all sensor IR cut-off filters are created equal. Or, of course, you can go the whole hog and have the camera modified to replace that filter and essentially dedicate the camera to IR photography.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:22 am 
If i m not mistaken there are two ways of getting this effect, either with a add on filter to your lens or you can mess with your sensor. As it has been stated above its IR-photography which can indeed render some very interesting images

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:03 pm 

Sorry Alex. I'm not sure whether you last was in response to mine or not. All I was trying to point out is that some cameras have a more aggressive IR cut-off than others. If you inadvertently buy one of these then the strength of the effect will be more limited as so little IR gets to the sensor. That may, of course, be what is wanted but it's as well to be aware of this if genuine IR photography is a factor in buying a new camera.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:35 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
Sorry Alex. I'm not sure whether you last was in response to mine or not. All I was trying to point out is that some cameras have a more aggressive IR cut-off than others. If you inadvertently buy one of these then the strength of the effect will be more limited as so little IR gets to the sensor. That may, of course, be what is wanted but it's as well to be aware of this if genuine IR photography is a factor in buying a new camera.

Bob.

Or you could pick up a cheap cheap cheap Film SLR and shoot IR film, which would be cheaper than getting your sensors IR filter removed.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:40 pm 
No problem Bob, no need to apologize i was just throwing in a comment!

I wasn't aware of that depending on what camera you have the IR would be more aggressive or not, a while back i was looking at some IR image done with D70, they looked rather on the "aggressive" side. Are we talking the "sensor" conversion or the use of a IR filter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:08 pm 

alex168 wrote:
...Are we talking the "sensor" conversion or the use of a IR filter?

Just the shape of the graph plotting transmission against frequency. For example, from Christian Buil's excellent website, we have:

A common definition of near infra-red is wavelengths longer than 7000Å (700nm).

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:59 am 
What I know is that some cameras are IR friendly and some not, the D70 for example is IR friendly, you can check if your camera is IR friendly by pointing at it with a remote control (for your TV, DVD or anything else), pushing a button and taking a picture.
The result should be something like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:21 am 
artlove wrote:
What I know is that some cameras are IR friendly and some not, the D70 for example is IR friendly, you can check if your camera is IR friendly by pointing at it with a remote control (for your TV, DVD or anything else), pushing a button and taking a picture.

Removed Image

artlove

If your camera is IR friendly, does that mean that you can just simply buy an IR filter?

In other words, if you camera is NOT IR friendly, then you have to get the cut filter removed. And if it is, then you don't have to get it removed. Just buy a filter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:56 am 

RHDxSPAWNx wrote:
artlove wrote:

Removed Image

artlove

If your camera is IR friendly, does that mean that you can just simply buy an IR filter?

In other words, if you camera is NOT IR friendly, then you have to get the cut filter removed. And if it is, then you don't have to get it removed. Just buy a filter?

I think what he's getting at is that the camera is picking up IR light, but you need a filter to remove normal light from hitting the sensor. This means it will mostly capture IR light. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Edit:
I just tested it out on my D40, I used my Nikon IR remote and it picked up a purple light. So I think most cameras will probably pick up IR light.