Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:38 pm 
I went to Malmö today, the biggest city close to where i live, to hang out with some freinds and my brother that just got back from budapest. So i ended up brining my camer, becaue you never knw. But it was soo bright out, that when i was shooting i had to use an EV of at least -.7 or -1 it was crazy bright! not the best condition to shoot in. Anywho here are some pictures that i got. Tried out some portrait some critique is more then welcome

"punk never dies"

"reading in the buss" quite hard shot really i wanted to keep the ISO down and give it a dark feeling, ended up with some shake so the shot inst that sharp, but i like it anyways!

For the following shot i m not really sure on which on i prefer, i do like the orignal one straight out of the camera, but i also like the one, that has been edited in colour, but the B/W adds to the "theme" of lonleyness. What do you think?

This car was awsome, was standing outside my house, i think its a pontiac GP if i m not mistaken?

thats all i got for today! working on some "studio" shots tommorw of my brother if he wants to be the model...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:39 pm 

Nice pictures alex!
punk girl reminds me of old times...
As for the lonely girl, I think it would be a great candidate for selective colour as we've seen elsewhere on the forum... I'm not too sure how it's done, but someone might be able to explain.
I'm not really into cars, but I suppose I should say "those are some sick rims!" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:42 am 
Thanks Paukl, well i think i never really saw the punk era or the ramones time? guess i m too young, but i saw the crappy boring hip hop rap movment, worst thing ever....I never really though of selective colouring but i m going to give it a try!

Yes you could say that even those i was going for the "those are so slick tires :P" kinda look

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:06 am 
You captured a mood in the loneliness shot, but it lacks a solid composition - I'd like to see the lamppost on a third line instead.

The composition of the punk hair is too much to the left of the frame, and I'd much rather see an image front on rather than from oblique and behind.

It's an interesting selection of photos. I think you've developed your own style of handshake photography that really works. The us candid is the standout image for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:15 am 
I think my problem is that i ate dont dare to shoot images of random people without lettim them knw, because i want to capture the mood and that is defently not possible to do so when they know they are getting thier picture taken!

intresting yo know that you would rather see the post on the 3rd line i thought it worked great on the second, i didnt really have time i was walking and shooting that image, you mean taking an image that would render more of the left side of the image, aka more of building?

"The us candid is the standout image for me" what do you mean by this? cant really correlate it to any of these shots?

thanks Ed for your time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:38 am 
Bus Candid I would assume mate?

It's definitely my favorite :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:42 am 
us = bus typed badly.

The problem I see with the loneliness image is that I see the lamppost more than the person because of it's position. You also lack the leading line of the pavement at the moment as it's on the edge of the frame. I've created a crude mockup of what I mean below:

With candids, if it's a moment that won't happen again, I go and take the image then go and talk to the person and show them what I've taken. For me, photography is an ice-breaker and you can meet fantastic people along the way; taking candids is a great way of interacting with people as long as you meet them afterwards. Avoid taking candids of children though, for obvious reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:52 pm 
Ed, i think i follow you in that drawing. Thanks for putting time into that scetch. You would like to see more of that part that you drew in? If i understood it properly? Well i was thinking that you wrote that light pole is distracting this could be solved by selective colours as stated in one of the 1st replies to this thread?

whats your take on that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:18 pm 
You've understood the crude visualisation correctly.

It might help partially, but ultimately the composition isn't right to me. The lamp post will still be a distraction in monochrome because of where it's positioned. Give it a go and see how it looks to you.

EDIT: I think I'll give you a run through why I don't like the composition.

What you've tried to capture in the candid is the mood and image of solitude. True that the girl is the only person in the frame, but she's not the only subject of the image. The lamppost stands dominant, almost from top to bottom of the frame (and fairly central), and so I consider it to be another focal point of the image. Adding both these meant that the impact of loneliness is a little lost for me. By recomposing it as I've crudely depicted might open the image in a different way - you've got rid of the lamppost as a focus, and you've captured more open space in the frame. By having the girl further in the frame and away from the right edge, you've a wider perspective of the space and solitude.

That's essentially a short precis of my thoughts. I hope that might open up my critique for that one.

Last edited by Photoj on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:30 pm 

Alex, I like the last four. The first two to me are a bit spooky.

I'm not a big fan of taking candids, or taking photos in the city because I think a lot of people think, WTF?!?!? why is he taking my photo... I typically try (when I'm shooting for someone, not street photography) I try to set up the candids :D

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:09 pm 
Well i think a solution to the problem would have been a lens witha lill longer focal length and bumping down the appreture a bit, that would have caused some blur and then defently i would ahve achived the effect!

Its truley a shame that those light poles where there! if not the shot is a good one i ahve to say! i do understand the point ur making and i apreciate it, because i m trying to learn Ed :D

Jake, i think taking pictures of people is really intresting, as Ed said, i did show this picture to the girl and she quite liked it on the 2.5LCD :P! but she hasnt seen the bigger picture? its an intresting way to get to knw people as well, i have often gotten the question, is it possible for me to take a look at the image later? and i say yeah of course and give them my flickr url! its a way of advertising yourself when you really think about it!

alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:42 am 

Alex, two suggestions:
A) Make a business card, put your flickr on the back (make 2 sets one for clients and one from street models) I'd reccommend meebo.com for printing them you get an image printed on the back (you submit the images)
This is so your models can see their photos on their own time, and a better portfolio of yours.

B) Industrial photographer, David Tejada (truely a photo-genius) Has a cool video, where hes shooting some company portraits on location and he uses a portrable dvd player with AV in to get a better proof of images. I'd say if you have a portrable, and AV cable, and want to shoot people and show them a large proof to get them to sign a release, carry it with you. I have one, found out its got AV out, not in :( I was so mad.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:57 am 
I knw David Teja, he works with that mini DVD player which is quite good. But no way i m walking around with one of those all the time when i m of for about 4-5h just wondering the streets! But for home studio and what not that could be really good to use, i m not sure if my camera has a video output tho, gotta find that out! I actualy do have one of those mini DVD players so i should give it ago!

Now for bussnies cards, yeah maybe! I have to think about it. I m currntly walking around with a notepad, which is kind of rustic! But i will sure take alook at that site!

thanks for the tips :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:19 pm 

The d40x, does have an AV out, but really if your doing studio shooting why not use a computer or TV as a proof. When I get my 40D, after I get couple accesories I plan on getting the WFT wireless transmitter, (if I have a laptop by then) and use that as a proof. But I agree, walking around with a dvd player for a couple hours of shooting would be a pain. We're starting a photography club in school, (which is convienetly located in the middle of the city) and we will go out shooting a lot, and I'm used to carrying a lot, so I'll carry a dvd player.

I think a notepad would work just fine but I'd write my flickr on it first, its kind of a long url.

my Blog