Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:18 pm 
Well i was sitting around before bed time craving to take some shots, but wasnt really in the mood of going out. So i started building a studio at home so to speak. Now i use A4 papers for reflections, and decided to pic up some objects i had laying around the house and shoot them just for funsies!

the last pic is a picture of the setup i was working with, the orginal shots came out quite clean, apart from i gotta way to disguise the shadows i think i need a 4th of 5th source of light. There was barley any light in my room, but i shoot at ISO 100 anywas, i had mounted the SB 600 with the difuser, when i was messing around to hook up all the lighting i wanted to move one of my lamps in my room and the bulb broke now i only got 1 out of 3 working, time to change them here the shots come, some what diffrent but i just wanted to share like always!

How do you like the angel of this shot?

if your wondering that orange stuff isnt orange juice its passion fruit extract with water, and water bottle, celotejp to place the A4 togher, IKEA lamps, some of my pictures on teh wall that i developed back in the days in a lab, and a souviner that i brough back home from brazil on the window rack!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 pm 

Very nice! Especially the 2nd one!
What did you to the white balance, since you're shooting with an ikea lamp? That's my "lighting equipment" too, so I'm curious ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:57 pm 
I did fidel around with the white balance a bit, but i had it set to "as shot" in my Camera RAW, and when i was using it in my camera, i really only liked the "atuo" settings. But i just done this a couple of times. Will work on it a bit more and probably end up with a costum setting, i was mainly looking at the white paper when adjusting the WB, and didnt find any of the "pre" settings to be appearling to me, the auto was the one that worked the best, plus i knw i was going to give it my personal post processing touche (if you havent noticed there is a contunious trend in most of my still life photos) when it comes to post processing! so i knw the background would come out white/yellow ish

Thats actualy one of my mothers cermaic dolls, next up i m going to try it with a diff doll! these dolls are great models, the dont move a bit :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:49 pm 
I see you've been resourceful and the results are promising. I think your set up would benefit from a second lamp to reduce shadowing rather than using your SB600.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:59 am 
Due to the diffrent types of light source that will mess with the WB? i dont have more lights at home right now, but i will be sure to take a look and play a bit with them.

I think later on tonight i m going to play with or try to make a simlar studio! I will be shooting at night because the background that i m doing this would be to dsitracting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:49 pm 

I know strobist had an interesting article a while back about using one flash to make 3 lights via reflection refraction, etc. (does a quick history check) and viola: Strobist Lighting 102: Double Duty light. From the looks of the page you should search the following tags on flickr: Strobist Lighting102 Reflect. There you'll find some neat examples and such. Pretty soon you'll have a full diy backdrop with lights and reflectors! Its only a matter of time before you cross over to studio photography. Here are some shots of my studio: Link

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:37 pm 
I think the only thing limiting you here is really your imaginations and working around what you have, i have just played about with my "studio" so to speak for a very shor time, i m planning on making it possible for me to use my SB 600 remotly or use it with the help of one of those cables! I read that article and it was a pretty intresting read (lucky me i a good deal about physics) but i dont quite understand why some people would use mirrows, mirrows absorbs light could this be to decrease the effect of the light itself?

i mean a plane white surface is better then anything out there (cash wise), white refelects about 87% of the light if i m not mistaken, while such things as foil will cause the light to be more intense in some places and the mirror i m alil sketchy on! I been reading lot of the strobist stuff these days and its just crazy advanced honestly :P but its very intresting.

I see that yourself like to do this kinds of things which is great, now we can discuss this while i m working with a diff setup for tonight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:57 pm 
Wow did i try alot of diffrent setup's today untill i got the restults that i wanted to. As my background i used plane sheets for the beds, did try everything from black white, to A4 papers to almost anything you can possible image. I didnt want the background to appear sharp so i had to decrease my shutter speed (more like increase in real terms) make the eye faster that is. After alot of back and forth and some tips from the storbist.

Jake i did find a great WB for that ikea lamps, yeah i tested that out too. To find the most suting one for my lamps i think i tried them all untill i got the one that worked the best and that was the Incandescent +3 this gave the it a very natural just bright looking effect, you can see for yourself the result, everything was shot in manual because i was just shaking way to much for startes (i knw i dont have tripod i should get one). So i tried decrease the shutter speed to the smallest number possible for shakies sake and the i got the results that i wanted at 1/30 i think it was!

here are the shots

The setup:

EDIT: those pink gloves on the setup images are not mine, they belong to my mother and i used them when i was handeling the glass that i shot on, i gave it a really nice clean and then i used the gloves. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:29 pm 

Alex those are awesome!!!! ! I my self was shooting outside today, the first nice day we've had I got kinda sun burnt actually. But using 2 reflectors really makes and Image I gotta download them later and put them on my flickr. I would 100% Recommend getting some 5-1 Reflectors which act as diffusers, white fill cards, black gobos, silver and gold reflectors they are awesome pieces of equipment, I have 2 now I'm going to buy at least one more. I can't find it online anymore (the ones i have) but I got them at best buy 14.99 usd, they're dynex 5-1 reflector. What you want is a collapsible shoot through circle with a cover that has 4 sides (the reflectors and fill cards.)

I also really like the glass, adds a perfect touch!

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:03 pm 
Well i came to realise the pros and cons of such a setup. Pros: didnt cost me a cent to set that up, i just gathered a bunch of stuff frome the house.

Cons: It takes quite a while to put up and take down. As well as your very limited to the size of the subject your shooting. I m going to find a way around this, actualy thinking i can build this very big light reflector that i can attach to a flourencent light but then i bump into the diffrent light sources...i m in a pickel, got to find out!

Thanks for the words Jake. I dont think i m at the stage of getting a reflerctor, but if your saying that they 20 a pop that wouldnt be such a bad price, do you knw if they still are avaliable at bestbuy? my father is going to the states tommorw, and he is picking up a 50mm prime along with 2UV lenses for me. So if you knw they are still there i can ask him to get me one of those and i can start working it. Something that i really want to do is get another flash and i want to learn how to use my sb alot better. I have recenrly applied to an internship on the side of everything i m doing at this local studio (portrait photography) but i havent gotten a reply just yeat. I will drop by there some time this week personaly and have a chat with them. I guess that way i will learn loads (what a side note)

i m going to developt this a bit further tommorw, going to look for new lamps and new ways to refelct things, i m going to the dump tommorw to find me some cardboard boxes as well. I m going to make a mess :)

Thanks for the kind words Jake

EDIT: Jake is this reflector that your refering to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:51 pm 
The two lamp setup has definitely worked, and using the glass was inspired improvisation.

Reflectors will be useful, and the one you've linked in looks right.

A second flashgun is a luxury - considering that your camera doesn't have an in-built commander, I'd steer clear this route and learn how to get results with the SB600 you've already got. Investing in a sturdy tripod will benefit your indoor studio work much more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:09 am 

Alex, thats the one! Very helpful, but it really depends, you might want a larger one. I'll tell ya, I spent so much time in the sun ith 2 reflectors today I think I got like triple exposure to the light when I was infront of them. I dared not aim them into traffic to take a shot, didn't want any accidents.

my Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:41 am 
Looking good Alex!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:50 am 
Tripod - yes looking into one now, not only will it help me indoors but out doors i can use it as well :)

What about getting one of those cables so i can move my Sb 600 around is that a good idea or is there another way to move my Sb 600 of my camera? i gotta take a look into that alot more myself.

Call me crazy but isnt it possible to make those at home 8) ? gotta take a look into that one!

Thanks for the kinds words guys, i will try to keep it creative and keep these shots coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:31 am 

Call me crazy but isnt it possible to make those at home 8) ? gotta take a look into that one!

[/quote]

Thats the right attitude!

my Blog