Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:41 pm 
First off, is this the right section for this?

Second, let me know what you think.

Focal Length: 75 mm
Shutter: 1/100
ISO: 125
Aperture: F5.6

Comments: Edited to black/white

Focal Length: 28 mm
Shutter: 1/30
ISO: 160

Comments: Edited to black/white

Here's a new one I didn't take the time to edit it. I think it needs just a bit of color to show the rust. Just Back/White would erase the rust. let me know what you think.

Focal Length: 56mm
Shutter: 1/60 sec
ISO: 400

Last edited by csmonte on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:08 am 
Hey csmonte,

Personally I find them very enjoyable. They have that "old world" look without the sepia-tones (that are occasionally over-used as a way to convey "age").

I like the composition - more so in the second one than the first.

I'm not suggesting what is an "improvement" per se, but you might find an interesting alternative by playing with the channel mixer (if you have Photoshop) to get something a little starter and more "dramatic".

However, the slightly bleached background conveys it's own mood too.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:52 am 
great feel and look to these pixs........ but have you had a look at adding a mid grey grad to the sky of the first one to make the building stand out more......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:00 am 
I like them. There is always this extra "something" into b/w pictures.

The second one talks to me more than the first. It's a little bit pitty that there is this modern building in the background tho.

Keep 'em coming :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 pm 
Big Pix wrote:
great feel and look to these pixs........ but have you had a look at adding a mid grey grad to the sky of the first one to make the building stand out more......

Good point. I think that would look better. Help set a better tone. Only bad thing which khol said, the different house in the background. It might highlight it with darker sky's. They were all old houses but the one seemed much more modern of a build. I didn't read the Bright Blue signs they had in front of the house. That's another reason they are black and white now. LOL

the first picture I took as I was leaving, I could only then get a "not so dang close" picture of the house. my lens down low 28mm with my crop body still doesn't seem to squeeze a hole lot in there.

I have another of this area I like with an old door lock. I wanted to play with the picture a little but maybe I'll just post it and see what you guys suggest.

thanks for the comments. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:08 pm 
A really good set here, I can tell I'm going to be a big fan of this new section. I love the textures of old wood, metals and other materials.

I really like the look of the low level middle shot :D

Cheers Ormina