Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Honda S2000
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:19 pm 
Tried to get a good side profile of my car today against our local ILS approach. Open to hear what I've done wrong and what I've done right :) Also, which of the three do you like the most and why? P.S. This is my first time! :P

F/6.3
1/100
ISO100
33mm focal length
-1.3 step exposure

Original Picture:

Saturated with sharpness added:

Unsaturated, Sharpness added:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:38 pm 

I would love the second one, but without the extra saturation. It would look more natural. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 pm 
Thanks for the input. when I get a couple of minutes I will try to take down the saturation a little and see what it looks like! I`ll post it after its done. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:28 am 

I personally like the second one, it gives it a "gleaming in the sunset" effect. Plus, I love the S2000. Is it your's?

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:06 pm 
Thanks for the reply Evan. Yes, the car is mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:17 pm 

It's a VERY nice car, bit it's out of my league!

The day that I get an S2000 will be the day pigs fly...

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm 
Evan,

I don't know how old you are, but I can see from your profile that you are a student. Don't think that a car is out of your league yet, you still have lots of time ahead of you! I picked up mine 3 years ago when I was 23! It's all about knowing what you want and finding out a way to make it happen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:27 pm 

Yes I am a student, but my first priority financially at the current moment is photography, buying new lenses and getting a body. I'm thinking of the D7000, but I want to see if it's worth the extra $500 over the D90.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:28 pm 
I can't speak about the D7000 because I have never seen one, but I have a friend who swears by the D90. I was inclined to buy a Nikon myself as I have 2 photographers in my family who both recommended Nikon, along with multiple friends who also shoot Nikon... In the end though, I went with Canon. I love my camera, and after seeing what it is capable of(mostly through other users photos) I am sure that I will grow into this camera for a number of years before I "upgrade" for lack of a better word. Back to the original point you made... I have seen some incredible large photos come from the Nikon D90, and the extra $500 would help you out with your lenses!
I chose to go for a less expensive model( T1i instead of T2i), because I saved myself a considerable amount of money for features I wouldn't ever need to use! Good luck with your decisions either way though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:25 pm 

The T1i or T2i used to be cheaper, but ever since Nikon has been trying to make space for the D7000, I've seen them going for as low as $650 body only. But none the less, the Canons still have some advantages. For instance, the Canons really excel with the video feature, whereas the Nikons don't do as well.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:58 pm 
Interestingly enough, high quality video was one of the features I wasn't interested in as I have a dedicated video camera that I purchased a few years back. The Nikon D90 still retails for alot more then the T1i here in Newfoundland.

Everyone else - I am still interested to hear any critisim or compliments that you may have :) It is a learning process for me and I am looking for any helpful(even if it is harsh) input from anyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:17 pm 

Here in Manitoba, the D90 body retails for about $700 in most stores and the T1i is around $600 for the body. You can also get a T2i for $800.

Going back to your edits, the first one looks to underexposed, like everything's cloudy.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:29 pm 
I took that shot 4 or 5 times with different exposures. It was more or less an experiment to see how much of a difference could be made shooting with different settings/ modes. I think that one was taken at - 1.3 on the exposure meter. The first couple came out very bright and over exposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:28 am 

Try some more, why not. It would be neat to try every single different exposure level on the exposure compensation. Also, try it on a sunny day or even just in different weather conditions. I personally think that it would be interesting to see the outcome.

- Ansel Adams