Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photographing Rugs
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:55 am 
Hi,

New here and not sure where to start. I'm looking to photograph quite a number of Persian rugs. I've got a Canon EOD 400D and I plan to get a tri-pod and a cheap studio lighting kit off ebay.

We're going to make a pulley system to hand rugs on while being photographed so they're level with the camera (rather than standing over them or trying to get above them to take pictures dead on).

I'm looking for some advice on lighting set-up and what shutter speeds, setting etc I should be using for this? The lighting in the building is fluorescent, it's not very bright but hopefully with the lighting kit the area we're looking to do should be bright enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:07 am 
Hi, I am by all means no expert but here is my way of thinking about photographing persian rugs. Although I never tried that.

-shutter speed is not really important since you use tripod, also rugs wont run anywhere
-I would choose pitch black matte background so it allows the colourful rug to stand out and doesnt reflect flashes (but thats just my taste)
-if you intend to shoot them just plain hanging like a wall (perhaps for on line catalogue?), make sure you get it all in focus, and horizontaly/verticaly straight
-if you intend to do more artistic shots (like photographing a few rolled up carpets stacked on each other) or close ups of certain details (unique pattern, corners, straps), think alot about perspective and shallower depth of field would be pleasing to an eye
-set your camera to vivid/vibrant or similar sort of colour enhancing, as those rugs are colourful and it will make them pop up

thats all I can think of right now, lighting styles and camera settings is not something I have experience with, so someone else might help you out with this.