Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:56 am 
My First Try At Some Food Close Ups, I Love These Kinds Of Pictures, My First Ever Pictures With My New Canon EOS 400D, Iso 200, 2 Second Shutter Speed, Aperature At 5.6, That Is A Kitchen In The Background, Tell Me What You Guys Think.

Bananas

Asparagus

Applesauce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:42 am 
I like the asparagus the most out of the three, having only one tip in sharp focus made a nice photo. The composition of the bananas is nice too but the highlights are completely blown out, I would try taking this one again with a faster shutter than 2 seconds. I don't love the applesauce personally, the idea behind it is nice but at least for me the lid still being attached detracts alot from it.

For all three photos I would crop them down alot, there is way too much going on in your background. My eye is drawn to the food first and then slowly outwards to the rest of your kitchen. From your original post it sounds like you were trying to include them both in each photo, but it makes for a very messy composition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:23 pm 
Food photography is definitely all about trial and error!

One of the main things I've learnt since I took my first foodie photo's was to get my white balance correct. Your shots look very much like my first shots. Very warm but quite orangey, and the food doesn't look too appetising.

It's a good idea to get used to photographing food on a white background.

Here's one of my early photos of food (bad white balance) which I wouldn't want to eat...

And here's one of my latest (correct white balance) which I would! (and did...)

Keeping the background plain at first helps you master the colours and make the food look good enough to eat!

Last edited by thebeatnut on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:42 pm 
Hi guys,

well this thread compels me to remind you that this month's assignment is themed "Food" :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:49 pm 

Hello thebeatnut, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
As to your comparison of the WB in the two shots: I personally find the second shot a nice entry to the food-competition but the WB too cold, almost "clinical/surgical". Whereas with the WB in your first shot I would not have found anything wrong.
But that may depend on the specific monitor setting that you and I are using and this is something I really hate the industry for: End to end color-management on computers is a disaster in my eyes :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:52 pm 

at River1995: Nice first tries. But what I esp. don't like is the reflection of the kitchen-lamp on the desk leaving those bright spots.
Try to arrange for some other lighting the next time. And yes I agree with thebeatnut that your WB needs a little nudge out of the orange tones - my previous reply not withstanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:56 pm 
Thomas wrote:
Hello thebeatnut, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
As to your comparison of the WB in the two shots: I personally find the second shot a nice entry to the food-competition but the WB too cold, almost "clinical/surgical". Whereas with the WB in your first shot I would not have found anything wrong.
But that may depend on the specific monitor setting that you and I are using and this is something I really hate the industry for: End to end color-management on computers is a disaster in my eyes :(

Ugh, don't get me started on monitors and colour!!! hehe. Thanks for the welcome.

I do take your point on board about the clinical nature of the second shot, but It's the style I would be happy to sell for commercial advertising for example. I do think it's important to judge what the picture is going to be used for and work with it when post processing. Still, it's nice to see people willing to learn about food photography, it's a tough area truth be told!