Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:12 pm 

I'm pleased with the Ford Mondeo and early model Focus' toning (ala lightRoom 2.0). The rest were harder as they were taken in a moving car. The Skyline was in really low light and I don't like using the on camera flash, however I acknowledge they're quiet dark. I think this would work with a controlled background so the shape of the car becomes the absolute focus. Of course, a mono or tripod would be the obvious step. Suggestions for any of these problems are welcome! Crit the shots if you want!

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:06 pm 
btw,

not a skyline. that's a gtr.

Post subject: bah...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:18 pm 

I refuse to call the G35 a Skyline replacement. The true spirit of the Skyline is in that GT-R. :)

But thanks for that correction.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:35 am 
#3 is interesting, but you could improve it by having some motion blur in the background. Also the green tones are too overpowering. It also seems like you clipped the highlights by suppressing it, the most suspicious evidence is the gray streaks on the bridge in number 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:06 pm 

You are correct, sir! The highlights were crazy. I'll see if I can post the actual shot.

Adding a motion blur would help this shot a great deal. Perhaps a motion blur with a radial blur thrown in? I'll try it, thanks for the suggestion!

Palakaboy, any thoughts? For some reason, I'm finding automotive shots to be difficult to get right. My observation with the second Nissan GT-R (there you go!) shot is the depth of field was too narrow. The entire headlight should be in focus (lower the f/stop number, right?). I desaturated the shot, but increase the vibrancy to give the amber some of it's color back... you dig?

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:54 pm 
Well I mean motion blur with a longer exposure, but you can try to replicate it.

A general rule of thumb for any photography is to explicitly know what you intend to show in the photograph about the subject. In this case, what do you intend to show about these cars? Are they powerful in terms of speed? Or do they have good exterior designs? Choose one or multiple (as many as you can show in moderation) and shoot it and post process it in that way.

For example, number 6. My first glance at the picture makes me think you are trying to show the sleek curvature and the gunmetal highlights. I would boost the contrast in that respect so it accentuates the highlights and making the form more apparent, glossy, and sleek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:13 pm 
theplatypus wrote:
Palakaboy, any thoughts? For some reason, I'm finding automotive shots to be difficult to get right. My observation with the second Nissan GT-R (there you go!) shot is the depth of field was too narrow. The entire headlight should be in focus (lower the f/stop number, right?). I desaturated the shot, but increase the vibrancy to give the amber some of it's color back... you dig?

hmm...

whoever told you that shooting cars is gonna be easy is lying.

first off you MUST have adequate lighting. You're gonna want to stop it down to be able to get the whole headlight. I get what you're saying

I did the exact same thing here through lightroom 2.1 (desaturate, plus 100 vibrance)

i strobed it, to get enough light in the front of the shot. And shot at a lower aperture to get the whole car in focus.

i recommend strobing and finding bounce spots for your flash. THe shadows created by the flash will accent the body lines for the car.

try this setting next time you shoot with a flash +1 flash EV, -1 EV.

that should saturate the shot while keep it exposed properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:36 pm 

Sexy. Thanks for the tip! Time to invest in a strobe... and a tripod... and maybe a wide angle... *sigh*

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!