Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Old Canonballs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:50 am 

Here's a shot I took a while ago in an old Spanish fortress here in San Juan. Any opinions are welcome.

Canon 400mm f5.6 L USM
San Disk Ultra II 4gb
Manfrotto 681B
Canon 200 EG backpack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:59 am 

Nicely composed, but I think there's a bit of a bluish cast to it. Did you take it on the auto white balance setting? The A200 tends to make "cooler" images on the auto white balance setting and for best results you should manually select the white balance. This scene warrants a "Daylight" or "Cloudy" setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:09 am 

I believe you are right sir.I don't remember changing the white balance for that shot.Thanks for you reply.

Canon 400mm f5.6 L USM
San Disk Ultra II 4gb
Manfrotto 681B
Canon 200 EG backpack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10 pm 

hmmm.. i think that you tried to compose it correctly. You followed the rule of thirds perfectly, but i don't feel that the composition is right. Maybe if you backed away from the cannonballs a little bit and put the pile of cannon balls off to the right or left of the frame. The picture now is a little plain, maybe mess with the tones a bit to juice it up a little. Sometimes changing little things can make all the difference. Remember this is all constructive criticism and i'm simply trying to help you for your pictures in the future. :wink:

Vivtar 2800
My flickr
~Dan Nelson~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:53 am 

Thanks a lot emp93!

Canon 400mm f5.6 L USM
San Disk Ultra II 4gb
Manfrotto 681B
Canon 200 EG backpack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:27 am 

It is a common experience for many of us that makes the statement "knowing the rules is about knowing when to break them" true in photography. As Emp suggested, following the rules doesn't grantee a good picture.

Some fundamental points to think about, the most important being what you intend to show about your subject. In this case, what would you like to show about these cannon balls, and then gear your framing towards your established concept. For example, if I wanted to show the antiquity of war that these balls represent, I would encompass the cannon itself, or the setting, or post process it in such a way that shows the concept (sepia, high contrast, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:25 am 

emp93 wrote:
hmmm.. i think that you tried to compose it correctly. You followed the rule of thirds perfectly, but i don't feel that the composition is right. Maybe if you backed away from the cannonballs a little bit and put the pile of cannon balls off to the right or left of the frame. The picture now is a little plain, maybe mess with the tones a bit to juice it up a little. Sometimes changing little things can make all the difference. Remember this is all constructive criticism and i'm simply trying to help you for your pictures in the future. :wink:

Wow Dan's back :wink: this guys famous man and he's spot on. I think to me it looks like it's cut off, so a step or two back will do. (unless you were on the edge of a cliff)

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"