Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:35 pm 

Hello

New member here that joined today looking for some advice for one learning project that i hope will result in an increased knowledge of photography and also a nice photo.

I am trying to recreate a photo like the below (only not as nice a car!!)

http://www.mattwatkinson.com/portfolio/8.htm

This seems a b ig challenge as the light situation is very complicated!!

Firstly I will need a tripod and a long exposure to get lots of light in (i think). I would then bracket the exposure.. (as this will allow me to see what looks best back at home) but what about appeture settings? I have a entry level flash unit which i intended to hold. A friend suggested a 10 second exposure, with an appeture of F18 or F22 and to flash the camera as many times as i can in the the 10 seconds exposure. Does this sound a good setup? I cannot understand the appeture at the moment and how it effects the photo. I know for portrait it blurs the background and it can control the amount of light let in, but i cant equate that to this photo!

Any tips welcome and please try to explain any tips (as im really just beginging).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:06 pm 

This is a good question! I personlly do not know but I will bump it up to the top for you. I hope some one will be able to help you out.

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:03 pm 

Would be a difficult shot indeed. I'm not experienced in this but really I just wanted to comment on the car :D I'd love a Lamborghini! One of my favorite cars. Good luck getting that shot though, I want to see what you come up with. Make sure to post your results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:56 pm 

I dont think that is a good picture, but i can tell you how to pull it of. If your interested.

First of, the main thing that makes the subject, and what a camera captures is light. And as you can see here the roof looks like it has some sort of straight line of light that goes from the far back and close to some what of the middle of the car or something at an angle (given the direction of the shadow).

I would have gone for a much bigger aperture to blur some of that background. Where the wall meets the ground just cuts that image into half. I would meter of the "hood/main" window of the car and try out different shutter speeds on a tripod. With a fixed focal length.

p.s that shot has also been PP:ed so think about that

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:13 pm 

Thanks Guys!

It sure is a nice shot and a sweet car! there are a couple around bournemouth and they are ever better in real life!. Perhaps someone will let me borrow one to recreate the shot? My car isnt anywhere as nice as this however it has one benefit e.g. its mine! :D

Alex, thanks for your tips. I will try and test a variety of settings and take my time. One good thing is that if i pick a quiet time i shouldnt get disturbed. I will try and fill the frame more with the car as I agree it seems a bit distant. Im hoping the lights will highlight the curves of the car and give it an agreesive look.

I will post my results up unless they are truely awful in which case i will try and figure out why, and have another go!!!