Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:15 pm 
Hi everyone..Merry Christmas..
Well...there was this Christmas party going on near my apartment..and so i thought i'll try my hand with some night photography..i checked out on dslrtips.com and got to know how to do it..
I got my camera only recently and just trying out the manual controls since then..never knew them previously..so..totally novice into photography..
It'll be a lot helpful if you guys can just rate these few pics for me..as in..which ones technically best n correct.. I don't know which one's the best. I don't have a tripod at the moment so a very minor shake is possible..since all photos at night.. :)
And guys..no need of any kind of sympathy for this noob..i'll be happy even if someone says those are completely awful pictures and teaches me how to get it right..i'm here to learn after all.. :)
Here they are..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:30 am 

Can you give me the shutter and aperture and such... That would help a lot... Hehe!

Well, from the looks of it I don't thing these are very good... The reason why is because they are WAY to bright... Bring down the shutter a bit or tighten the aperture some more... Maybe bring the ISO speed a little lower as well. Step two... TRIPOD!!! When you said you didn't have one I knew I could be trouble... If you get a tripod there are no limits!

Recap:
1-shutter speed (speed it up a bit)
2-aperture (make is a bit tighter)
3-ISO (lower the ISO speed a bit)
4-tripods are your friend!!!

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:25 am 
i dont know what the effect you were going here was my friend, but trust me when i say you need to move around. missing a shot because you stayed in the same spot for too many frames is no bueno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:20 pm 
@Mbrutus
First of all..sorry for the late reply..
My exam was going on..so..you know..
Thanks so much for your suggestion..actually you know what, i had seen the 'how to take photos at night' video tour by gordon in dslrtips.com..
The photos of the lights were quite bright..so i tried to take them that way..but it does seem like i got it wrong..
Anyway..thanks for ur help..i'll surely do better next time..

@smiles
Hey there..sorry i'm not getting what you trying to say..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:27 pm 
First of all I hope your exams went smoothly.

smiles77 wrote:
i dont know what the effect you were going here was my friend, but trust me when i say you need to move around. missing a shot because you stayed in the same spot for too many frames

In essence, what was explained to you was about the lack of variation in viewpoints that you took of this Christmas tree. They're pretty much all from the same angle, and that is a problem. You need to consider your composition.

The lack of contrast and the brightness to the right of the frame is down to severe flaring caused by a bright light source that was shining into the lens. If you had varied your position so that this light source did not shine into your lens, then you wouldn't be having the flare and contrast issues. Beyond that, there's also a need to think about composition, exposure, and adequate support for your camera in low light. MBrutus2009 has given some simple pointers regarding settings. There essentially are no rule of thumbs in low light photography other than being able to have a means of getting your camera steady. Once it's steady then you can lower the ISO, close down the aperture iris and use longer exposure times.

Essentially this all encompasses the problems seen in your images, and despite what you've said, I'll still be sympathetic.

Thanks for sharing.

MBrutus2009, EXIF is ISO1600, f/3.2, 1/13, 100mm equiv. for the 1st image. The other images display similar technical discrepancies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:47 am 
Like Photoj said, get rid of that light shining right into your lens, which seems to be a big problem as it causes flare and interferes with the light of your object. Move around to find a spot to avoid any kind of secondary lightning so all your lens mostly absorbs is the light from a Christmas tree. If you manage to find the darkest spot to place your camera , this would be as if your camera resides in a big "hood". The same applies when taking pictures on a bright sunny day.
If you intend to use a tripod, choose small apertures although it won't prevent lights from a Christmas tree from fusing together in one bright chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:15 am 
Thank you Photoj and kost80..
Well..i've surely learn't a lot recently..i didn't even know the ISO logic when i'd taken these pics..it was days back..also..i didn't know there was a super-fine mode..i'm sure i'll take much better pics next time around..
Also..i was restricted to that position because of some reason..a party was going on and i couldn't step inside and take pics..so i was trying to take those pics from the same position..that bright halogen light was quite irritating..
Anyway..thanks for sharing your knowledge ppl..
Cheers!!