Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Black Background
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:30 pm 
Hi agin, I am back with a new topic again..."The black background"

I was experimenting on this.. with no black screen behind an object. The objective is to achieve a black background making the subject standout.

I was able to achieve this with my Canon400D using the KIT Lens.. I have not yet purchased any other lens yet..(planning for the Canon 55-250mm).

However, I was not at all successful for a human subject.. can anyone help on how to achieve a black background

Here are few: (would like to tell you that the back ground for these pics was actually really bright and I was totally amazed how these came up!)

regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:19 pm 

One way is you can use LOTS of light on the subject, and keep the background dark as possible. You can get this kinda effect with flash providing it gets concentrated on the subject enough. In that case it helps if the subject is far away from background.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:25 pm 

Hi Phani,

Well, the movie guys add whatever background they want by shooting the actors in front of a green screen. Provided the green colour isn't present on the main subject modern software makes it pretty easy, sometimes without needing any manual tweaking, to selectively mask for that colour and then extract the foreground and substitute whatever background is desired. Without a green screen you may still be able to selectively mask for the darkest levels and then adjust the brightness down to zero.

Alternatively, if you have your subject in front of a dark background and the subject itself doesn't contain any similarly dark areas then you can also play with "levels". The "Tool Palette" in Canon's DPP software has a histogram display. Did you know you can "grab" the left hand boundary with your mouse and drag it to the right? Once you have got the blacks completely black and saved the result you can always adjust the main subject back to achieve the desired contrast, brightness etc. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:49 pm 

I just rediscovered these old shots which help illustrate my previous statement. No processing other than resize and resave.

Without flash

With flash

Ok, I *did* use a black background in this case, but it does work with other backgrounds providing they're far enough away. I think it helps to keep the subject as close to the flash as possible as you're trying to get the brightness differential as high as you can.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:09 am 
Bob, I played with the Tools palate once and came to know that I can adjust the levels using the histogram graph... Yes, I do agree that we can also use the method of darkening the pic post processing as you said in the second para... You can see that I have done the same for the first pic (Doll pic)... I got a darker background, but it was not completely black, so I adjusted the contrast, brightness to certain extent to get the black that you see in this pic...

Also, did you notice? The Doll is brightly lit on the left side, its not flash its sunlight coming from my balcony!

Did you guys photograph a human subject with a black background anytime using the method I used or popo used?

I don't want to make any post processing stuff and then get the black background, since it seems to be achievable at the time of taking the photograph..

Actually, I am one of my co-members in Canonedge.com posted a pic of a bird (in a zoo) using this method. I was surprised to see that neither the cage nor any background objects were visible(the background was totally black)... He explained the procedure, that there should be some 3 or 5 stops difference between the subject and the background, if that is the situation then this would be the result.