Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:32 am 
As you may have read in my first topic over in the landscape forum, I am new to photography and this site. I decided to give still life a shot.

Heres my first good photo. I didn't have any sort of lights at the time of this shot (I bought some last night however). Instead, I did some light painting with a mag-lite and a shower curtain diffuser :D

Canon 40D
EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
60mm, ISO 100, f/18, 30.0 sec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:11 am 
Great Picture RHDxSPAWNx! You did that with a mag lite and a shower curtain? thats impressive! what kind of lights did you buy? will you be doing a user review on them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:31 am 

thats sweet. I just wish the grip was in focus too.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 pm 

That is cool!! I would have loved to see the grip in focus as well! And with a mag lite and shower curtain I would say you did a great job...

:D

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:50 pm 

That's a very interesting photo, and the lighting is just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:39 pm 
Not a big fan of guns in general, but photographically speaking that is a really nice shot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 pm 
alex168 wrote:
Not a big fan of guns in general, but photographically speaking that is a really nice shot!

That's because:
1. You're not a man.
2. You're not an American.

hehe. Just kidding about the stereotypes. But as a guy, I admit that I do appreciate explosions, fire, and general destruction. That's why I love Mythbusters.

Ahem...as far as the photo is concerned, I would have to say you did a superb job especially with such a limited setup! I would have never guessed you used a maglite. I do have to agree with others that it would have been nice to have the grip in focus as well, but easier said than done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:15 pm 
i personaly think it is just fine the way it is. it drawws your attention to the barrel. if it was all in focus it would feel as though you are looking at it from a mouses perspective

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:53 pm 
csrussell wrote:
That's because:
1. You're not a man.

Oooooooooh! haha that's fighting talk, I'll hold him you hit slap (ooh I meant hit him all manly like!) Alex ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:21 am 
Mark-A wrote:
csrussell wrote:
That's because:
1. You're not a man.

Oooooooooh! haha that's fighting talk, I'll hold him you hit slap (ooh I meant hit him all manly like!) Alex ;)

Hehe, I was just kidding although I'm sure you guys could tell that. Not all guys are fascinated by fire and pointy sticks, but i sure am (to a degree).

As far as it being out of focus aiding the design, I think I'd prefer it either all in focus, or more out of focus. To me it falls somewhere in the murky range in between where there's either too much detail in the blur, or not enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:16 am 

well the grip is in the way you lose the bottom part of the bottom bullet, and the out of focus rubber texture just uhhgg. I absolutely love the texture and lighting of the chamber there. Oh and i'd like to see the hammer in focus. I think it could be out of focus, if the camera was like 3cm's higher.

I really want to say the maglite shower curtain thing is VERY creative--kudos.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:46 am 
Wow I'm glad to see that I got a good discussion going over this. :)

As far as it being in focus, I did that originally. I had taken couple shots with f/18 I believe, however, I preferred this one over those. Mostly, because this one turned out the best. It is hard to be consistent with a flashlight, as you can imagine.

To Tomis:
You put a question mark after maglite with a shower curtain. Its quite simple. I set my camera on a 30 sec. exposure and turned off all the lights in my room. Then took a small piece of shower curtain, like a frosted textured one, and covered the flashlight with it. You have control over the light and the shadows in a sense. The longer you hold the light in one spot, the brighter it will be. You can get extremely creative with this. I have a bunch of things I did just as an experiment.

Its getting late now, but maybe tmrw I will post one in full focus.
Thanks again for the compliments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:04 am 

I love fire explosions and guns and fast cars...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 am 
i like the lighting, but i want am drawn to wanting more detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:23 pm 
Shagrath wrote:
I love fire explosions and guns and fast cars...

r you bruce willis no1 fan :P