Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Another Phone Pic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:56 pm 
A while ago I posted some phone pics that I had been working on, well recently there was a challenge for shallow DOF and I created this image for it. Didn't do too badly actually but with the title "The Best of Blur.mp3" I think the US voters didn't really understand it as much as the UK ones and the US outweigh the UK many times over:

Wasn't really worried about the score though as it's one of my favorite still life shots to date :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:59 pm 

loving the picture title...., nice photo as well but the title and subject relationship makes 10/10 for me :lol:
actually laughing to myself :roll:

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27747651@N04/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:57 pm 
Very nice shot. I like the bright surface, and the oof cellphone in the back. The composition of the earphone is tuie nice too. Well done [Thumbsup]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:57 pm 
As in the band Blur I take it? A shame more US voters don't know of them! I was actually surprised when I found out that Gorillaz was created by the singer from Blur. But then I thought it strange I had never noticed how similar the voice was.

Great shot by the way! It's weird because I find myself drawn to the phone, and my eyes try to tear away at it, but can make nothing of it. I think because it's such a large part of the picture, but the focus is on the rather minute earphone. I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:04 am 
Thanks for the comments guys.

With regards the Blur reference yeah it was a play on the band Blur, you are correct that Damon Albarn was one of the creators of Gorillaz, I am a fan of both groups :)

I don't think Blur ever really made it in the US where as Gorillaz did quite well I believe I think that had a very big impact on my score unfortunately the UK commentors really liked it and understood the title -> image reference where as I think the US voters just thought I was being arrogant :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:20 am 
Blur is great. They really didn't "make it" in the US until after their self titled release including the single 'song 2'. That song was played everywhere in the US for a very long time. They climaxed their career in America with that album and song; although there are still many Blur fans in America. And then there is that whole Blur vs Oasis documentary, its alright. Apples and Oranges. The best music documentary about a 90's rock band in my opinion is Dig.

But yeah, Blur will always be remembered as some of the best Brit pop, and pop-rock in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:10 pm 
Great shot, Mark! I especially like the cold color tone. Very appropriate for the subject matter.

May I ask how you set up your lighting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:23 pm 
Thanks again for the comments.

The lighting was basically studio head (lowest power) at camera right with a large softbox (I still couldn't stop the corner blowing out) I had a silver reflector camera left just to soften the shadows a little. Behind the subject was a piece of white board again which reflected the light back in to the main area and also gave light for the reflector to bounce back in.

There was some fall off and as the challenge was basic editing (no cloning or spot editing allowed) the almost vignetting looking effect on the left had to stay, I did try an edit where I remove this just for personal use but to be honest it looked a bit too sterile.

I might try this shot again now I have the 285HV flash heads as I have much more control over them than with my studio heads.

EDIT: To correct my left and right mistakes LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:14 pm 
Thanks for the info, Mark.

I actually like the light falloff. I didn't really notice it until you mentioned it -- it's very subtle (on my monitor, at least), and think it adds a feeling of depth to the image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:56 pm 
Nicely done, you actually made a not so interesting subject, quite intersting! This shot could be seen as an ad! Nice job, the composition and the use of the DoF is excellent