Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:49 pm 
I had the opportunity to try out this lens.

Although it's a cheap lens, I liked it better than the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II wich comes as a kit lens with budget dSLRs from Canon.

It's visible sharper, af is quicker. Built quality is.. better but still no distance scale, still plastic lens mount, the front element rotates when focusing. When extended, the barrel wobbles a bit, but not quite as much as the 18-55 kit lens. Manual focus ring is the same style as the kit lens but this time is usable. I don't know if it's damped or not, but I managed to get sharp results with manual focus (with the kit 18-55 lens I haven't been able to get such results). I don't know what to say about how noisy it is because the one I used was a fairy old lens and made some weird noises. Filter thread is 58m, the same as the kit lens, although the front element is larger than the kit lens. The size of the lens is about the same as the kit lens, a bit larger. Heavier though.

I tried it out on a EOS 400D (Xti) body.
I don't have sample shots yet, but I'll post some next week as I'm kind of traveling right now.

If you don't really need wide-angle, it's a good budget substitute for the kit lens. I'll use the 28-80 on portraits mainly, so as soon as I get the raws I'll convert them and post here some too!

[later edit]

I've got some sample shots!

Shot 1:

f/4, 1/20 s, ISO 800, 28-80@42 mm, conversion from raw file using default settings

With some 100% crops! (across the frame)

Shot 2:

f/4, 1/40 s, ISO 1600, 28-80@28 mm, conversion from raw file using default settings

With some 100% crops! (across the frame)

Unfortunately, Shot 2 was taken hand-held but I don't think that hand-shake is such a problem here. As I was saying, saturation is on the same level with the 18-55 kit lens, but I believe the 28-80 is sharper.

Cheers,
HNV