Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:38 pm 
My...U guys are persistant. Haha! :wink: Sure, definitely no hard feelings involved. Im cool. 8) Below are the photos straight from my D90. Zero edit. The 1st pic is iso 1600, F1.8, Shutter speed 1/80. The 2nd one is iso 400, F1.8, shutter speed 1/640.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:51 pm 
Here are 2 more shots from the lens. Zero edit too. :lol:
1St pic iso200, F1.8, Shutter speed 1/5 sec
2nd pic iso 1600, F1.8, shutter speed 1/20 sec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:25 pm 
Thanks Jansen, its good to see how the lens copes on its own!

I really like the first one of the 'Jinro' bottle. A great example of not being afraid to push up the ISO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 am 
~Glad to hear that Jeremy. Thanks for the comments.~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:01 am 

Great examples at f1.8 :) do you use a tripod or do you shoot handhold? Remember that f1.8 is very thin depth of field and using shutter speeds below 1/30 of a second or officially 1/50 of a second especialy at close focus, will make any of your movement visible.

Keep the shots coming ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 pm 
Dear Woutk89:

All these shots are handheld shots. Ya, U have a point here. The ck Be shots seemed a bit shaky. Noted with thanks. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am 
great shots of 1.8
i had considered this lens
f/2 is great for me anyway (:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:08 am 
i just want to add that this lens has quite a bit of barrel distortion, as you can see on these shots.

apart from that, its a great lens and the distortion wont bother you on most shots and if it does it can of course be corrected in post. but you probably wont like it if you do architectural stuff often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:16 am 
Hi All,
I just added this lens to my arsenal for my Nikon D90 the other day. Even though I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet seeing the pics taken with it here really made it seem like it would be worth my while. That leaves me with the 18-105 that came with my D90, the 55-200 VR, and now the 35mm prime f1.8. Now I think I just need to get neutral density filters in the 52mm and 67mm varieties and a set of the close up filters for the 67mm.
Gunner out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:34 pm 
Hi Jansen-

I was actually considering this lens to add to my collection. I currently have a D90 with the 18-105mm kit lens, and a 85mm f/1.8 lens that I just acquired and loving. Unfortunately, the 85mm requires a lot of backstepping to get the entire framing of my image to be on screen.

The 35mm would not get me the wide angle, but at least it will get me those shots where room is not an option to step back and take the shot. In looking at your photos, they seem a bit soft or blurry at f/1.8. Can you post some photos with a f/2.8 or higher? Just want to see the comparison.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:51 pm 
fresh from the camera...both were shot on the D700 on FX mode.

supposedly this is DX lens but at the moment it really didn't feel like it...

*click for full size

Image*click for full size

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:07 pm 
Nikon D40 + 35mm f1.8 DX

This event was in broad daylight, so the aperture was typically between f8 and f11, and no lower than f3.5. I imagine this is about as sharp as the lens can be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:13 am 

Here are a couple of obligatory cat shots, taken at f2.8 - very sharp with reasonably nice background blur. Anything at this range with f1.8 was still pretty sharp, but was just a pair of eyes in a white furry blur due to the very thin DOF!

As previously mentioned by other posters, I wasn't that keen on distortion in general. Geometric shapes and interior architecture in a background can get horribly out of line (I haven't got any examples to post) but if you can live with that it's a great little lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:19 pm 
Two pictures from my Nikon D5000.

I'm fairly new to DSLR's (~1year), and this lens really showed me, what my camera is capable of. I seem to get the sharpest results at f3.5 - f4. Since I got this, I hardly used my 18-105 at all. The lens gallery here was a great help in deciding what additional lens to get, and because of that I'm hoping my contribution can help someone who has the same decision to make.

@f3.5

@f1,8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:58 am 
One of the first few pictures on my new 35MM f1.8 on my Nikon D7000.
5 minutes after the mailman brought the package.

ISO 100, F2.8, 1/400 sec 35mm. Some post RAW corrections done in lightroom (exposure, white balance and stuff like that).