Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:11 pm 

Hi folks,

I use the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM as my main astrophotography lens where that f/1.2 aperture is really valuable. I guess this lens is more often found on full-frame cameras in the studio but lacking both here is a sequence of shots illustrating resolution at all of the available f-numbers. Click on any of the thumbnails to see the associated full sized (4MB) "Large Fine" JPEG as delivered from the camera with no post-processing.

Camera: EOS 40D, ISO: 100, White Balance: Daylight, Picture Style: Landscape, Tone Curve: Standard, Contrast: 0, Sharpness: 4, Color saturation: 0, Color tone: 0, Highlight tone priority: No.
    Image Image Image Image Image Image
    Image Image Image Image Image
Note that the f/1.2 images are over-exposed as the camera was working at its fastest shutter speed of 1/8000ths of a second. The high contrast subject matter together with the small pixel size of a cropped sensor camera is a harsh test for this lens and is probably taking it slightly out of its comfort zone. I'd love to see how it performs as a classic portraiture lens on a 16 MP full-frame body but as Canon don't sell such a camera I'll have to wait.

To show just how scary the shallow depth of field of this lens can be here is a 33% crop of the first shot I ever took with it. This at f/1.2 and, from memory, at around 1.5m (closest focus distance for this lens is about a metre). The distance from the eyes to the end of his nose is just 11cm.

Finally, here's a composite of two images, each of which was produced by combining multiple exposures, all at f/1.2. This post refers. Northern hemisphere observers may recognise the constellation of Orion:
    Clickable if you want to see the full sized version (4MB) which was processed separately
Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:36 am 

Here's another shot, this of one of my dogs and taken a few days ago in one of the show rings at Crufts using available indoor lighting. It nicely demonstrates the shallow depth of field achievable with this lens at f/1.2. Note that the handler's hand under his chin and his right eyebrow are already out of focus. Wish I could take credit for this shot but as I had to man the Hamiltonstövare Discover Dogs stand with my other dog I lent the camera to a friend. Oh, and this was a fun event and not part of the official Hamiltonstövare judging as neither of my dogs any longer has the necessary equipment in the bedroom department to qualify as a show dog!

Clickable (2.8 MB download)
  • Camera Model = Canon EOS 40D
  • ISO Speed Ratings = 100
  • Exposure Time 1/40 second
  • Aperture = F1.24
  • Focal Length = 85 mm
  • Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
  • White balance adjusted. No other post processing and uncropped
Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:55 am 
here is a shot at f/1.2, no photoshop blur - all natural !