Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:07 pm 
I've noticed that if I use my Sigma 28-200 mm lens, the pop-up flash on my Sony A200 becomes a lot less effective. With the kit lens, the flash successfully illuminates subjects 3 - 4 metres away. When I'm using the Sigma 28-200 mm lens, the effective range of the flash drops to < 1 metre.

I've made sure that the Sigma is at 28mm, I've opened the aperture to f/3.5, I've set flash compensation to +1.0/+1.5/+2.0, I've changed the ISO, and none of these have any effect at all.

Can anyone shed any light? (pardon the pun!) I would really love to keep the 28-200mm lens on my camera all the time. Right now, I have no choice but to swap to the 18-70mm kit lens for indoor flash photography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:17 pm 
The only suggestion I can make is to get a good external flash. I had a similar problem with my Canon 70-300mm with the pop-up flash, but my 580 EX II speedlite handles the range just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:50 am 
I still don't understand it. Is the lens obscuring the flash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:21 am 
It may be obscuring it partially, but the major issue is range. The built in flash falls off after so many feet, an external flash has a much farther reach at the telephoto end. If you know someone with an external flash, you may want to just borrow theirs to see the difference. Even a camera shop may let you try one to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:04 pm 
That doesn't explain why with the kit lens, I get an effective flash range of up to 4 meters easily and I can zoom from 18 - 70mm and still use the flash.

With my Sigma, at 28mm, f/3.5, a flash compensation of +2 and my photos are still appearing dark. This is severely vexing me :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:18 pm 

What mode are you using P, Av, Tv, M etc.

In Av mode the camera meters for ambient light and the flash is used as fill-in flash not to illuminate the whole scene.

Try it in P mode and see if you get the same problem

just a thought

mirageII

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super
Rollei 35S

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:31 pm 
I got it working!

I changed Flash Control, from ADI Flash to Pre-flash TTL. No idea what that means, but it works great now and I get flash distances of up to 5 metres.