Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:09 pm 
I've read so much about cleaning the sensor here and there, and the overall feeling I've taken from these articles is "One mistake and the world will explode." Was wondering if you've tried this, and is it really something to be afraid of?

I bought a sensor cleaning kit that has medical grade methanol, 1.6 crop size sticks, and pec pads. Is this all I need? How much pressure do you put on the low-pass filter? Thanks for any insight..
Frightened newbie,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:11 am 
Hi Michael,

I use pec pads also and there's nothing to be afraid of, as long you follow up the procedure. Perhaps this link could help you.

Wet cleaning method is the most successfully way for me when I find some sticky dusts that could not be cleaned by a blower ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:03 am 
I'd avoid the methanol. Newer sensors have various anti-static coatings designed to reduce the occurrence of dust and with methanol you run the risk of removing or damaging the coating. Not sure if that affects image quality, but I'd stick to solutions that specifically state that they are not damaging to the coatings on the low pass filter. E2 is one that I know has been updated to take this into account but there are other available as well.

I was quite nervous when I first did it but it's really not that scary. :) I use a SensorKlear cleaning pen which stores the cleaning compound in the head itself so I only have to deal with one item, helps to keep things simpler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 pm 
The fluid I have is called Eclipse but also states that it contains methanol. Still not advisable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:44 pm 
And for those of us who are too petrified to clean the sensor, What is a good company to get it cleaned? I'm a total newbie you see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:31 pm 
King George wrote:
And for those of us who are too petrified to clean the sensor, What is a good company to get it cleaned? I'm a total newbie you see...

Everything we know we know because we have learnt it. Everything we do we will at one time have done for the first time.

Don't be scared, but be careful. Is it easy to find stories about people having damaged their sensors by cleaning it? If it isn't. Good. Then it probably isn't that dangerous. If it is. Good. Read them and learn from them what not to do.

Be prepared by arming yourself with good information, then apply that knowledge.

That's how it's done.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:09 pm 
As a follow up to my original post, I finally did clean the sensor. Like was said, I just followed the instructions, but was very nervous. It all turned out well, the huge dust moat is GONE! Maybe next time I will be more confident. The camera shop wanted $50 to clean it for me, so I saved on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:52 pm 
Hmmmmmmm mayby i'll give it a try, anyone know of any good kits? (this is in the u.k)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:59 pm 
Not sure if this is available in UK or not, but here's the link - it's the first one on the page:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... it&x=0&y=0