Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:45 am 

I like the first one better... Tell me what you think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Nice shots MBrutus2009!

I've just come acorss this thread, but if anyone is still intertested in attempting astrophotography with normal lenses, then check out this earlier thread I posted, here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206

And of coruse for general night photography, check out our Night photography tutorial at dslrtips:

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:48 am 

Thanks Gordon!!! I think I will be doing some milkyway photos soon! It sounds fun!!! I have one question though... How do I know what infinity on my lens is...? I don't have the number on my lens... I am using the 55-200mm vr lens from Nikon. My 18-55 was stolen so I don't have the kit lens anymore... >_< ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi mbrutus, the longer the focal length, the quicker the stars will trail and the more careful you'll need to be with the focusing... so at 55mm, working at an equivalent of 83mm, they'll trail after only a few seconds - but then this can also create a nice effect...

In the absence of a lens focus distance scale or Live View with magnification, your best bet is to focus on a distant streetlight (and I mean as far away as possible). When it's in focus, put your lens to manual focus, recompose and take the shot. Check the focus afterwards by zooming-in during playback, and make focus adjustments if necessary. It can be quite a tough process, wich is why Live View is so useful - although you will need bright stars for it to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:22 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Nice shots MBrutus2009!

I've just come acorss this thread, but if anyone is still intertested in attempting astrophotography with normal lenses, then check out this earlier thread I posted, here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206

And of coruse for general night photography, check out our Night photography tutorial at dslrtips:

Gordon

Thanks alot. Read up on all of the night photography tips. All very useful. To achieve the biggest apeture we would have to keep the zoom in..right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:07 pm 

Twcman306 wrote:
To achieve the biggest apeture we would have to keep the zoom in..right?

Depends on your lens. But with variable aperture models, yes.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:26 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi mbrutus, the longer the focal length, the quicker the stars will trail and the more careful you'll need to be with the focusing... so at 55mm, working at an equivalent of 83mm, they'll trail after only a few seconds - but then this can also create a nice effect...

In the absence of a lens focus distance scale or Live View with magnification, your best bet is to focus on a distant streetlight (and I mean as far away as possible). When it's in focus, put your lens to manual focus, recompose and take the shot. Check the focus afterwards by zooming-in during playback, and make focus adjustments if necessary. It can be quite a tough process, wich is why Live View is so useful - although you will need bright stars for it to work.

Thanks for the tip... I could not try it tonight for it was cloudy!!! >_< Florida is so unpredictable... At 3:00 pm it was clear and by 4:30 pm it was raining like there was no tomorrow!!! Uggh! Well, there is always the weekend when I have time!!! I might not be able to do this because I live close to a lot of lights... So I don't thing I will be able to get some bright stars. But it's worth a try! :D :D