Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Night Photography help.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:14 pm 
I was recently in vermont and there were so many visible stars and some planets because of how little light there is up there. I tried to take some pictures of the stars but they just came out black. Is it possible to take pictures of stars, if so what do I have to do to do so? Higher ISO, longer exposer? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:38 pm 
There are two ways of doing night photography in general....

One way is using longer shutter speeds, but the problem with this is that when photographing stars you will get star trails, ei the earth is moving and the stars are not (sure this depends on the shutter speed that is beeing used) but use trial and error to find the desired effect..

another option is use high ISO, but this will reduce IQ becuase of the noise, but the longer shutter speed will create noise but is minimal compared to the noise gained through high ISO

I would recomend u start out with the shutter speed option and then try the higher ISO´s

hope that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:56 pm 
alex168 wrote:
hope that helps

It at least helped me :) Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:48 pm 
Thanks alex. Always helpful. Just to clarify I would always need a tripod?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:56 pm 
definitely, your probably going to use shutter speeds that will take some seconds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm 
Twcman306 wrote:
Thanks alex. Always helpful. Just to clarify I would always need a tripod?

TheForce wrote:
definitely, your probably going to use shutter speeds that will take some seconds

Only if you plan to utilise longer shutter speeds for effect (e.g. light trails) and/or your camera can't handle high ISOs well. Call it heresy if you want, but I don't carry a tripod any more unless I solely intend to do landscape or night scene photography where I want to capture trails of motion. Otherwise I'm able to handhold using high ISOs. See example below:

ISO 6400, 1/160 at f4, 20-35 2.8 at 20mm.
PP - shot as jpeg; resized to reduce file size to load onto Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:55 pm 
6400 ISO? What type of camera were u using? I think the 40d only goes up to 3200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:55 pm 
Twcman306 wrote:
6400 ISO? What type of camera were u using? I think the 40d only goes up to 3200.

Methinks Ed has treated himself to an upgrade. :?: Full frame perhaps Ed?

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:12 pm 
Would the image about happen to be a HDR image? Also what exactly is a full frame camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:27 am 
A full frame camera is one in which the image sensor is the same size as the film used in 35mm film cameras. The sensors in these cameras are larger than those in most other DSLRs which have a crop factor due to the smaller sensor. These cropped DSLRs still have large sensors but the full frame is larger still.

Have a look at this article for more information.

@Ed, that's a very nice shot of the UCL quad there. :)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:38 am 
Twcman306 wrote:
Would the image about happen to be a HDR image? Also what exactly is a full frame camera?

It's not an HDR. It was shot as seen.

A full frame camera is one that has a sensor size that of 35mm film.

Markh wrote:
@Ed, that's a very nice shot of the UCL quad there. :)

Well identified! And thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:17 pm 
Thanks guys for all the help. Is it me or does that camera handle very high ISO very well? That picture looks very good. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:47 pm 
Twcman306 wrote:
Thanks guys for all the help. Is it me or does that camera handle very high ISO very well? That picture looks very good. :D

Thanks. Yes, the body I'm using is famed for low light performance. Let us know how your night photography goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:55 pm 

As soon as I get home I will post what I have for night photos that I tokk the other night... I want to know a few things though... Whne I post them so BE PREPARED!!!!! Haha! By the way I like the photo you posted Photoj!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:24 am 
lets see whatcha got 8)