Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:50 pm 
Here are my questions:

1. In the "Action" mode the camera will beep and continuously refocus on the subject every .2 or .5 seconds or whatever it is. Can set the camera to do this on different settings?

Reason, I was at an air show last weekend and as the planes come at or away from me very fast it was hard to track the plane. I am always used to using Av setting so I can keep ISO low and set my apertures myself. But I found this time consuming and lost some opportunities.

2. The * button on the camera I read I thought it stated that if you want it to Lock a focusing point. How much of a lock is this really?

Reason, lets say I want to zoom in and focus on an subject then keep the background blurry so I focus on my subject and press * which is now lit up in my eye window. but use rule of thirds for your subject so I'll put the subject to the side let off my finger half way and then push again to take the shot. My camera will refocus everything. Does this sound right? Do I have to keep my finger half way pressed down all the time to keep it locked?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:22 pm 

I might be wrong, but isnt the * only exposure lock, and not focus lock?

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:45 pm 

On the 400D there is an AF button on the four way controller. This allows one to select AI SERVO mode which will sort out your continuous focus issue in other modes (P, Av, Tv and M at least).

Not sure on the layout of the 40D but it's a super set of the 400D so it shouldn't be impossible

mirageII

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:40 pm 
Right,

The * button on the back of the camera is the exposure lock button which in P, Tv and Av will lock the exposure the camera has chosen while you recompose the shot. The button to the right of that (the upper-right-most button on the back of the cam) is the focus point selection button. Pressing that will highlight the focus points in the viewfinder and you can then use the dial to select one of the points. The camera will then only AF on that point.

To change the focusing mode, press the AF-DRIVE button on the top right surface of the camera. Use the front dial to change it to AI-Servo - this will focus continuously, as long as you keep the shutter half pressed.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:58 pm 
Hey thanks for the replies. I've read the posts and used my camera to do what was suggested. I see now how to use the continuous focusing option. I noticed it doesn't make a beep sound like it does with the auto Action mode. But it did seem to track better and when moving around it will refocus. However I could see without having some type of a Lock on focus or turning the AF drive back to one shot, that I could see some composed shots being difficult. when subject is in "thirds" of the frame.

And thanks for mentioning about the auto focus points and how to move them around. I didn't know you could adjust them like that. That is awesome.

That does bring on one more questions:

1. What exactly would the definition of Auto focus points? If I focus the camera so that my subject is in focus, what is adjusting the AF point really doing in the camera?

2. Exposure Lock, so it doesn't lock focus I get that now. So it locks exposure. Which will be shutter speeds, aperture, maybe ISO and such?

thanks for the productive responses. I'm going to try to pick a few area's each week to work on.