Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:02 pm 
I've always wondered why the colours, the sharpness, and other stuff you see through the viewfinder come out differently in the photograph.

Stuff like HDR, long exposures etc I understand but how about a more regular exposure time like 1/30-1/500?

I've heard of something called the 'aperture sweetspot' where the lens works best at. I understand that if DOF preview is not activated, what you see through the viewfinder is at the lens' largest aperture.

The Tamron macro lens I work with usually produces acceptable clarity in terms of sharpness and colour but sometimes it turns out rubbish when I view it after shooting, both on cam's LCD and a computer.

Why is this so?

Thanks in advance,
SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:04 pm 
because what your eye sees at that time is gonna be different since your eye doesnt work anything like a camera.

for example...you may be seeing a great sunny day- but if you overexpose it, you'll get bad results!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:07 pm 
No thats not what I mean.

I mean like, something that has the same brightness when seen through the viewfinder, and comes out with the same brightness, has different colour/sharpness etc than the image seen in the viewfinder, so this is nothing to do with the exposure time.

SnS 8)

P.S.: Has anyone ever noticed that the human eye can actually see panning if a speeding vehicle etc zooms past right in front of you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:40 pm 
i dont think my camera has that problem to be honest. i've always found my camera's viewfinders to be pretty damn accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:30 pm 
Different colors: This depends on many things, including color matrix metering, the color space (sRGB vs AdobeRGB) in use, white balance, saturation (i.e. boosting saturation in the IIIa - sRGB mode in my Nikon D40 tends to yield a reddish cast on images taken at higher sensitivities), the type/quality of the lens coating, filters used (i.e. skylight or warm filters, polarizers affect color rendition too) etc.

Different contrast/sharpness: This is largely a resolution and processing issue. Lenses also play a big part here: Put on a crappy pair of glasses and suddenly your vision goes down the drain too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:33 am 
The camera sees things in quite a different way and a lot of the settings in the camera are there to get the image to match what you see. It can never be truly the same because the hardware(yes eyes included 8) ) are quite different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:26 pm 
I look without camera: Looks normal
I look through viewfinder: Looks normal
I look on the LCD-screen on my camera: Different

Is it the settings that's wrong? Is it the LCD-screen that's not so great? Or is that just the camera?

Is that also your problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:04 pm 
Define "different"?

More blurry? Colour is off? You took a picture of what looks like a hot blonde and she turned out to be a fat whale?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:22 pm 
pgtips wrote:
Define "different"?

More blurry? Colour is off?

Uhm, more dead like colors and light. But actually i haven't checked if it was my screen. Know what i mean? Can't really explain it better, sorry.
I was photographing a school event with a friend of mine (Nikon d60 shooter), and we took a picture of the same thing, same settings, same everything almost. And his look'd a lot more liek the thing we were looking at. Nicer colors and nicer lighting

pgtips wrote:
You took a picture of what looks like a hot blonde and she turned out to be a fat whale?

Lol, not quite like that though :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 pm 
0eyvind wrote:
Uhm, more dead like colors and light. But actually i haven't checked if it was my screen. Know what i mean? Can't really explain it better, sorry.
I was photographing a school event with a friend of mine (Nikon d60 shooter), and we took a picture of the same thing, same settings, same everything almost. And his look'd a lot more liek the thing we were looking at. Nicer colors and nicer lighting

That sounds like an issue with the settings of your camera. You can set your camera to boost saturation of colors, contrast, etc. Turning on DRO helps too.

The best thing is to try out a few different profiles (I've found that Vivid works best as Standard makes colors look dull).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:37 pm 
0eyvind wrote:
pgtips wrote:
Define "different"?

More blurry? Colour is off?

pgtips wrote:
You took a picture of what looks like a hot blonde and she turned out to be a fat whale?

Lol, not quite like that though :P

sounds like your camera got pwned...

on a serious note. his camera was probably calibrated by the user.

alot of dslrs are great when they're left on factory settings, but if left that way they'll be unpolished diamonds.

play around with that thing so that you can learn.

as far as the shots looking different, maybe it's your eye- ever thought about it that way?

another thing to consider.

on both my d90 and d60,

if i leave it on auto WB at dusk,and take a picture of a purple flower...

-it'll definitely turn out blue.

if i adjust it to cloudy or whatver... they'll get the color pretty straight on.