Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:46 am 
Hello everyone,

This may be a stupid question but...

How do you load 35mm film into a film camera? I've been trying it, and I've wasted two rolls because I accidently wound the film back into the cartridge...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:56 am 
EricD wrote:
Hello everyone,

This may be a stupid question but...

How do you load 35mm film into a film camera? I've been trying it, and I've wasted two rolls because I accidently wound the film back into the cartridge...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Try looking it up on you tube. There are loads of videos showing you how to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:11 am 
You usually have to pull out the rewinder knob against a spring and place the cartridge in the camera and push the knob back in. Then pull out a small length of the film and slide the end through a slit in the empty spool while aligning the holes over the sprockets. Then turn the winding lever and visually check the film is transported and aligned over the sprockets. Press the shutter so you can repeat this. As soon as you are convinced the film transports properly you close the back of the camera and transport the film twice and press the shutter in between to make sure there is unexposed film in place.

You can usually visually check somehow that the film is being transported and a counter should increase a number every time you wind the film.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

It's quite hard to describe, but easy to show in person, so I'd suggest heading to a camera shop (or asking a friend who's used 35mm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:46 pm 

doesn't it depend on the camera?
my first Canon (A1) you had to man handle the end of the film into a slot and manually wind on, hoping the film slots sat over the wheel teeth(sprocket). On my Canon T70 and T90 I seem to remember you just laid the film over the shutter curtain, shut the door and away it wound!

May be things have moved on in the last twenty years with film cameras but that's my experience.

John :)