Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bright and colourful.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:14 pm 
As I'm new to DSLR photography I was wondering what tips there are to achieve bright and colourful photos first time, without the need to do much editing.

I see a lot of photos with really attention-grabbing blues and reds etc. At the moment I find my photos to be quite bland so I have to do a lot of editing in photoshop to enhance the brightness and contrast etc.

Maybe it's because I've not had much of an opportunity to get out in the sun (the weather is rubbish!) to experiment but your advice and tips would be most appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi liethemoon, you can achieve more vibrant and punchy images by increasing the saturation, sharpness and or contrast settings within your camera. If it's more colour you want, then increase the saturation.

As you'll see some cameras, especially those targeted at consumers or beginners, have these settings turned up quite high by default, whereas others have thgem quite low. They're just like the picture settings on your TV - adjust them until you get the result you want.

But remember it's hard to remove once you've applied it, so don't go over the top!

Or shoot in RAW mode, as this lets you make all the adjustments in software later - and it's reversible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:39 am 
Thanks Gordon. I'll have a play around witht he settings tonight. I assume there is an option to return to the default settings if I make too many changes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:42 am 
it would help if you told us what kind of camera you've got.

as far as nikons go, there's usually 2 or three buttons with a green dot next to them.

hold all of these buttons and you'll reset the camera to the day it was created- *it does not delete the actuation count, just switches things over to default settings*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:46 pm 
I have a 450D.

I've not tried taking shots in RAW yet so I'll try that when I get home from work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, you can reset all your settings back to the factory defaults using a menu option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:21 pm 
palakaboy wrote:
it would help if you told us what kind of camera you've got.

Go to his flickr, into a picture and then down on the right side it should say what camera it was taken with (: