Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:14 am 
Hi guys,

I live in Hong Kong and we have Typhoon Nuri about to bash us this evening!

At the moment it's just wind and rain, but the radar shows some storms on the way later.

I have a great vantage point from my apartment looking south east, where the storm is coming from and I'm hoping to capture some lightning shots tonight.

Any tips and advice would be great!

Thanks,

SP30

---
Canon 400D, efs 17-85

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:44 am 
One source here

Basically, there are a few different ways you can use to photograph lightning.

The "common" method is to put your camera into Manual, and put the shutter down to Bulb. Next, depending on your distance to the area where the lightning will hit, you will set your aperture. Start with f/16, and work your way to larger values. Essentially, you will keep the shutter open until the lightning bolt hits, then release the shutter when the lightning is done.

There is the other way where you will pretty much just try and "capture" the lightning as it hits. You could use a fast shutter, but you really need to anticipate the hit.

You can find more help from google.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with sdrummer - I mount the camera on a tripod, set it to bulb if you have a cable release, or if not, the longest shutter speed - typically 30 secs. Use manual mode so you can also set the aperture.

Then keep taking exposures and hope lightening strikes during one of them! If you're using Bulb, you may wish to close the shutter after the lightening strikes.

Also experiment with the ISO sensitivity and the f-number. Adjust so the exposures look ok. It'll take a lot of trial and error, but is worth it! Remember to share the results...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:30 am 
Thanks guys,

Typhoon Nuri was a direct hit last night- unfortunately it only brought wind and rain, no lightning.

Oh well, at least I have the tips for the next storm.

Thanks again for the tips.

SP30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:21 am 

[quote="Sdrummer"] and put the shutter down to Bulb./quote]

what is BULB and how does it work???

Canon 40D 17-85mm IS USM + 55-250mm IS + 50mm 1.8 + 580EX II Speedlite + Canon S5 IS + Lowepro 100AW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:33 pm 
waltermelon_ken wrote:
Sdrummer wrote:
and put the shutter down to Bulb./quote]

what is BULB and how does it work???

BULB mode is when the shutter stays open for as long as you hold the shutter release button down.

So if you press the shutter release and keep it held for one minute, the shutter will stay open for one minute. It will close as soon as you let go.

Getting to BULB mode might be different for every camera, but for me, I need to go to Manual mode, and set my shutter as slow as possible, past 30 seconds, and then it will say BULB.

So I recommend either trying that, or reading your manual.