Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dirt/Dust in viewfinder?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:42 pm 
Hello everyone,

When I look through the viewfinder of my D50, I see some specs of what appear to be dust, or dirt. I cleaned my sensor just the other day, so it shouldn't be dust on the sensor. And when I take a picture, the specs dont show up on the image at all...

Any ideas on how I could get rid of it?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:02 pm 
clean outside of it?

if it's inside then there's not much you can do...sure it's annoying but it costs too much to clean if it's not in the pics right? heheh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:20 am 
You can clean the outside of the eyepiece with a microfibre cloth. It could also be that dust is on the mirror or focusing screen, if it is, a few puffs from the blower will fix it but do not touch the focusing screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:57 am 
I'm still a noob at DSLR terminoligy... Where, and what is the focusing screen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:01 am 
Open your lens, the first thing you will see is the mirror, it's mounted at 45 degrees to the lens in case you don't notice the reflectivity. :)

Above the mirror and parallel to the ground when holding the camera pointed straight in normal landscape orientation, is the focusing screen. It's a pretty insignificant looking white-ish grey piece of glass. Don't touch as it scratches very easily!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:52 pm 
Thanks Graham, I think I fixed it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:06 am 
I have cleaned my focus screen with a microfibre cloth very gently (yes, by touching it) and nothing happened to it... So if you have steady hands you can do it... Otherwise, use a rocket blower like you'd use for sensor cleaning!!