Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:06 am 
I'm doing a bit of manual focusing recently with my 60mm micro lens. It seems to be a bit hit and miss whether I get it focused properly or not. Stupid question perhaps but anyone with any manual focusing tips? Anything I could look out for? (other than sharpness obviously!). I must have dodgy eyes and should think about getting them looked at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:59 am 

Probably not much help, but I found that using the viewfinder to be easier to get fine focus than the resolution limited screen in live view. Apart from that, is to take several shots at slightly different settings to help increase the chance of getting a good one. And if there's light available, can also try dropping the aperture to increase DoF to hide minor focus problems.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:00 pm 
Just recently, there was a great series for manual focusing at DIY Photography...here's a link:

The series starts with this post, and then the next two are follow ups.
[url]http://diyphotography.net/nine-reasons-to-manually-focus-when-taking-pictures/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:38 pm 
Hi Welly,

There's one trick I know that people use. They zoom in with live view on the LCD and adjust focus visually - I haven't tried it myself, but I hope it can help.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 am 
Kirt wrote:
Just recently, there was a great series for manual focusing at DIY Photography...here's a link:

The series starts with this post, and then the next two are follow ups.
[url]http://diyphotography.net/nine-reasons-to-manually-focus-when-taking-pictures/url]

Cheers Kirt! Some useful tips/ideas there. Just what I was looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:10 am 
Yeah, it is a series worth reading, love the exercises too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:12 am 
How about the "distance ring" on the lens? you dont find it useful to focus with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:27 am 
artlove wrote:
How about the "distance ring" on the lens? you dont find it useful to focus with?

The distance ring would be useful but my sense of distance makes it all but useless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:37 am 
Always remember you have a little dot that lights up in the viewfinder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:17 am 
How about choose your desired magnification using the focus ring and then move your whole upper body back and forth to get the right focus. I don't have a macro so magnification isn't key for me but I do this with my 50mm.