Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:55 pm 
My D40 gives me the option of shooting either in RAW alone or RAW+JPEG (basic jpeg).

For what reasons would you use the option of RAW + JPEG? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:07 pm 

The RAW images have to be processed first (I've never actually done that, should give it a try) but the JPEGs are all done once they're are taken. That way, you have both a raw and a finished photo.
Some wedding-photographers use this feature, and they give the newly weds a CD/DVD with the JPEGs as soon as possible, and then start work on the RAW-files, so the loving couple already has their (unedited) photos to look at.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:28 pm 
A question from a noobie: I know that shooting in RAW for Pentax & some Canon cameras is excellent to get maximum details...is this a general law? I mean,for any camera..
Is there a camera that can process perfectly the jpg saved files so it can hold all of the initial details?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:54 am 
RAW will always be better than JPEG if you know how to process the RAWs correctly - it isn't hard.

However, some people feel the difference between RAW and JPEG is too little to bother with so they stick with JPEG. That was me a few months ago. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:30 am 
RAW + JPEG is a very useful option that allows you to quickly show other people your images in a readily accessible file format. Like say you are on assignment shooting a family members birthday party or shooting for National Geographic, whatever. You can right away upload the JPG's, or email them without having to process the RAW files. Of course the RAW file will get processed and the quality will be the best for printing/publishing, but the JPEG's give you immediate viewing capability for your family and clients. Good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:47 am 
is there actually much 'quality' difference between raw and jpeg or is it just down to the exposure being controlled at the raw stage which leads to a better finish?

Some of the tips of dslrtips.com are basically about getting exposures right, if you shoot in raw mode is there any difference in doing it on site through the camera or back at home on your pc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:45 am 
Hi jiffk,

Doing it on the PC at home gives you finer control, I'd say it would be more "clumsy" to do it in camera.

If you get exposure spot-on, there is little need for RAW as far as exposure compensation goes.

However, RAW has a wider dynamic range than JPEG and gives you more room for exposure adjustments before noise starts to get ugly.

RAW also allows you to set the WB in post processing(JPEGs don't look as nice for this) and you can sharpen RAWs up better than with JPEGs, you don't get artifacts from the the JPEG compression showing up even more clearly when sharpened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:41 am 
I normally just use Jpeg as the qualit of them seems fine to me. If i patricularly want more detail or im doing HDR I will sometimes switch over.

I dont bother with both just takes up to much space and having 2 images f everything would confuse me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:13 pm 
Thanks guys for the info. Makes sense now. I think I will run with RAW+JPEG as I am learning how to fully use the features of Capture NX software with RAW images.