Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: DSLR tips for beginner
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:57 am 
Last week I finally purchased my first DSLR, a Nikon D80. I already know that I have some time before I finally get use to my new camera and am able to its full potential. I was wondering what sort of tips you would get to someone new to a DSLR and fairly new to photography itself. What did you wish you had learned or been shown sooner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:08 am 
I recommend that you do the following:

Learn what photography is. The technical aspect, and the composition.

How do you learn this? Well, because it is so much information, books are a great resource. But then again, so is Google.

Either go to a library or book store, and check out books on photography. Learn the basics and create a foundation of knowledge in photography.

From here, you will learn composition and then you will be able to compose beautiful looking photographs.

Then incorporate everything you have learned out on the field.

So to answer your question, the best tip is to get books that explain photography in detail.

Best,
-Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tragick Flaw, have you checked out our sister site www.dslrtips.com ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:59 am 
Yeah, I've being looking at DSLR tips since I went shopping for the D80. I'll slowly learn. Trying to work the basics out of the camera and find a good tripod for July 1st fireworks. Want at least one good photo.

Had a beautiful rainstorm tonight, but I got confused with my shutter and aperture settings since its the first time I've had them on a camera, and the last time I used them was with a Canon setting. Got a few good pictures, but tomorrow I'm going to have to try ISO and see what I get. Nature also wanted to play with me, since I never got a picture of lightning. It only came out when I was busy with my camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:46 am 
I think learning how to use the A and S mode is important

A: aperture priority. you choose the aperture and camera does the rest.
S: Shutter priority. you choose the shutter speed and camera does the rest.

U use these modes 80% of the time. Learning how to frame things and angles is something that just comes from experimenting.. im still learning this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:48 pm 
Read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Very good book that breaks down photography and has great examples with shooting information.