Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:17 pm 

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/HOYA-72mm-Circula ... 310&sr=1-2

What do you guys think of just a basic filter from a decent Brand name like Hoya. I know its not Multi-coated but prices just fly off the the deep end quick. I was trying to stay away from really generic brands, and sunpack at least.

Well do you think this will do OK. I'm thinking of this on my 28-135mm and a step-up ring for my nifty-fifty.

Any closer competitors let me know.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:58 pm 

I have a question.

What does a photographer need a polarizing filter while using image post processing can fix everything? Especially if you shoot in RAW...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:17 pm 

Nightwolf wrote:
I have a question.

What does a photographer need a polarizing filter while using image post processing can fix everything? Especially if you shoot in RAW...

I think that the effect of a polarising filter is the one effect it is very difficult to replicate in post-processing. See the sky in my post here as an example.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:35 pm 

Nightwolf wrote:
I have a question.

Megahertz and nanoseconds aside, a polarizer basically does the following:

1. Darkens your exposure by about 2/3 stops (depends on the brand and the type/amount of coating, though) to prevent blown-out highlights. An ND-grad is apparently better suited for this, however. This effect can be simulated in post-processing to a certain extent, using curves and highlight recovery, though the result may be too dull for comfort.

2. By definition, a 'polarizer' has the ability to shift the polarization of the light reflected from your subject (and anything nearby, at that) so much that it can rid the subject (or the surroundings) of any reflections whatsoever. For instance, it can completely eliminate reflections from the surface of a lake, allowing you to see (and shoot) something down below in absolute clarity. However, this really works if you have the light coming from your side, and on non-metallic surfaces only. This effect, AFAIK, can not be simulated in post-processing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:11 pm 

thanks for the reply's. The descriptions help to support my reason to buy one. I am traveling to Rivera Maya, Mexico in 3 weeks and am wanting a polarizer for all the water, sky, and possibly help with washing out pictures.

But, for my kit lens, do you think a basic Hoya like mentioned above will do the job? trying to stay away from some low budget filters, but can't really swing the big $$$ for some of these other ones.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:22 am 

I'm buying this one ND: LINK

and this CP: LINK

would like to know what's the difference between them because they say they both remove reflections and increase contrast...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:21 am 

Hailstorm wrote:

1. Darkens your exposure by about 2/3 stops (depends on the brand and the type/amount of coating, though) to prevent blown-out highlights. An ND-grad is apparently better suited for this, however. This effect can be simulated in post-processing to a certain extent, using curves and highlight recovery, though the result may be too dull for comfort.

By my knowledge most polarizers hold back 1.5 - 2 stops of light. Polarizers do not prevent blown out highlights. Your camera will just slow down in shutterspeed to about 1.5 or 2 stops (the same amount that the polafilter holds back)....so the exposure of the whole scene stays exactly the same because the camera compensates the loss of light. Unless you lower the exposure compensation manually...your highlights will be equal to a photo taken without the polarizer. A polarizer does lower reflection on non metallic surfaces and this adds to the overall more saturated look that you get using a polarizer. Leafs look greener because they do not reflect , skies look more blue ....watersurfaces become transparent( if the water is clean that is :) ). You can enhance saturation in parts of a photo with photoshop.....but, you can not filter reflections out of the photo with photoshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 am 

kno3 wrote:
I'm buying this one ND: LINK

and this CP: LINK

would like to know what's the difference between them because they say they both remove reflections and increase contrast...

A polarizer will remove most of the reflections in a scene. The effect depends on the angle that its used to the sun. If you use a polarizer on an angle thats about 90° to the sun the effect will be most visible.(if you keep the sun to your right or left side) If you photograph in the direction of the sun or if you stand with your back to the sun the effect is almost non existing.

An nd filter will not remove reflection or enhance contrast......nd -filters are used to slow down the exposure time by the filter-factor.