Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:26 am 
Its always been a "NO NO" when it comes to photographing towards the sun, but i honestly really like the effect of taking such images, creating the silutes and creatinga very drastic contrast between the ground and the sky. The other day i realised that taking pictures of the sun att bigger appretures (f/5.6 for exampel) tha the sun came out like a round ball, rather dull, like in the image below:

Then i decided to go for a smaller appreture (f/22 for exampel) and i realised that the sun had had become much more intresting then it was in the previous photograhp, it obtained a star like shape which added alot to the feeling of the image. Here is an exampel (note that the exampel picture isnt great and there seems to be some dust and whot not on the lens but it illustrates what i was walking about)

note the lens flare, which can easily be avodided by using a hood or simpley by covernig the lens with your hand (to a certain extent this might work)

EDIT: might be worthwhile mentioning that this will apply to an stronger light source.

Last edited by alex168 on Thu May 15, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:50 am 
Hey Alex168, i never really experimented with it but thats a really good tip. Will try it out if it eventually stops raining over here. I did notice some flare on the second pic though, could you get a starry sun without the flare effect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:45 am 
Hi Alex, nice experiment, do we need to use any filter when shooting towards sun? Have you used any filter in above shots?

Keep up the good work, I like yours and all educative posts on this site.
I am really excited after joining Cameralabs. Such a nice site and nice ppl over here. Thanks Gordon and all hooked to this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 am 
Hey,

Those images were not taken with any filters/hoods on, so to let you know. But UV filters + hood should decrease the chances of any flare.

Head over to my blog i have alot more of stuff over there :)

--->My Blog<---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:42 am 
alex you got that from my post at the urban landscape forum didn't you :P

Just kidding - was a good idea to share this tip.

By the way I'd like to add that if you use a nice and small aperture to give this effect you'd have to be careful of under-exposure due to the smaller hole(aperture) where light goes in. Try squinting your eyes a little at light sources(fluorescent recommended, to prevent hurting your eyes) and you can see that this tip in photography works with the human eyes as well.

SnS 8) (no, the sunglasses are not a joke)