Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:02 am 
Nice work Jim!!!
Everything is fine on my photos now!! :D

I know that you used adobe lightroom but how did you fixed it? What tool did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:41 pm 
Hi Nightwolf!

Pretty much it entails lowering the exposure a few stops, using 100% recovery, and then giving it a little fill light, and some black.
Here is a Lightroom preset if you want to try it out:
Right-click and save as...
unjxfoto_blown-out.lrtemplate

If you need to know this goes in your User Preset folder which is located in Windows XP at:
C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets\User Presets

If you have Photoshop CS3 you can also open JPG's as RAW files and then make the adjustments necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:05 pm 
Thank you Jim!

I downloaded the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and its amazing!! You can do everything with it!

The only bad aspect is that it consumes all the processing power of my PC, its sometimes too slow, especially when i want to use the clone tool!

Post subject: 450d is faulty
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:11 pm 
hmmm, I'm not even sure why this is a debate. Why should we, as photographers, have to correct faulty metering in a camera?

I previously owned the 400d and upgraded to the 450d because of better kit lens (can't afford the upgrade yet), live view and "supposedly" a better sensor. What a mistake! The 400d metered beautifully. The 450d is totally flawed and I'm considering asking for a refund, because IMHO it's faulty.

When I set "evaluative metering" I expect the sensor to "average out" the scene and hence darken my shadows so as not to totally wash-out the highlights. Recently I took a picture in very bright sunlight (no cloud-cover, 27deg day) at ISO 100, AV mode, F11, evaluative metering, RAW. I got motion-blur on a moving car! What the!?! On such a "hot" day the car should have been "frozen" in it's tracks since the metering should have picked a very fast shutter speed for me. "Evaluative metering" is behaving more like "spot metering" - if I had chosen this metering method I would have expected the results I got.

I had read about this problem in reviews before I purchased the camera, but it was so trivialised that I didn't think my untrained eye would even notice - next time I will look further into design flaws highlighted in reviews - the 450d ruins pictures with it's crazy metering.

Conclusion?
a. "Evaluative metering" no longer exists in 450d and is just "spot metering" now
b. I wish I had kept my 400d - lenses can be replaced (cries...)
c. Canon should release a firmware fix for this fault, but won't
d. We should not have to purchase 3 pieces of software and spend over an hour per photo just to bring them up to "usable" quality - in theory we should be able to set our cameras to full auto (heaven forbid!) and get pretty decent shots with such an expensive piece of gear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:22 pm 
Hi Nightwolf,

The next time you might want to try a quick fix and see how it turns out, in this scenario with bright and shady areas you'll notice if you point your camera towards the bright area the exposure will read differently then when you point the camera at the shaded area. So what you can do is point the camera at the shady area and press the button at the back of the camera on the top right corner with the magnifying glass and negative sign to lock your exposure at that setting, then just point the camera anywhere you like and shoot.

Try it it might fix your problem in these conditions.