Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photo quality??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:38 am 
hi folks

I'm wanting a few tips for improving my ability as a photographer. I have two pics that I took today.

The first one shows 2353 hauling the Spirit of the Outback past Albion. With this one I used normal exposure.

The second one is 2200F-2410D hauling containers past Albion, this time I had exposure set to +1 and certainly yielded a much better result. However I still think there is possibly room for improvement.

I took both pics from the shadey side which I don't really like doing, I prefer to photograph from the sunny side but it can't always be helped.

I'd like to hear tips on how I can improve these pics, is the first one salvageable?? I guess I also need to learn how to use Irfanview/PSP7 to adjust photos, I can sharpen them but that's about it.

A bit more info....

Both photos were taken in ISO800, shutter speed 0"5, aperture F4.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:59 am 
If I took those photos in RAW mode, would that have made a difference??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:04 am 
Welcome Colhad, another train photter you would benefit from shooting in RAW as you can do more post processing with a raw file.

I shoot trains for a hobby most of the stuff I shoot is travelling at between 90 and 125mph so I shoot in Tv at either 1/800 or 1/1000 so as to freeze the train, check out my fotopic website by clicking on the link in my signature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:25 am 
Hi Defiance, I will shoot in RAW mode from now on.

I've also got a fotopic account but most of these pics were taken with my old Sony Cybershot DSC71 point and shoot. It was actually a good camera but I lost it, hence the reason for me buying a DSLR. I thought if I'm going to buy a new camera I'd go for a more professional model.

http://colin7336.fotopic.net//

Edit: I've noticed you've taken some pics from the shadey side, is this an ok practice to get into. I guess I've always like the sunny side since my old point and shoot was useless on the shadey side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:40 am 
No shooting from the shady side is not good practise but sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, here in the UK if you want to get noticed and be invited onto some of the more exclusive railway sites photos have to be pin sharp and in full sun, but hey I do it for the fun of it.

Have had a quick look at your fotopic site and added it in my favorites will also add a link to yours on my fotopic site, and yes you will benefit from getting the 400D some of the earlier photos on my site were taken with a 400D.

Keep up the good work it is nice to see trains from another part of the world, now get out there, get shooting and posting on fotopic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:25 pm 
Hello Colhad,

My warm welcome to you!

I definitly agree with Defiance that shooting RAW will retian more information for you to work with in post-processing. Often you will be able to brighten shadows or tone down highlights (unless they're completely blow-out) much better than from jpegs. RAW also has less compression artifacts that JPEGs and I've found them to be slightly sharper as well.

As for your shots above, I like the first one a lot :) The second I don't like because I find it overexposed. There seems to be more detail in the first, especially in the sky. If you find the train and tracks to be too dark, you could try and increase exposure in the shadows only ... best done from RAW files as you process them.
I think you could also get some very interesting shots if you try different angles. For example some at knee-level or so. :) tell me what you think ... good luck !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:38 am 
heh funny how you prefer the second shot. I much prefer the exposure of the first shot. The sky's colour seems blown out on shot 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:29 pm 
defiance, i notice on your fotopic your most rescent photo was taken at twyford.

that just so happens to be where i live :)