Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:15 pm 
Yeah, that shot makes me wanna head down in the basement and find my spandex!! lol.

Lovely shot, great drama to it and the underlit cloud really add some depth!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:23 pm 

Bonsoir,

Thank you for your comments :)

Every hour, the small lights on the Eiffel Tower flash for ten minutes. Come and visit Paris :lol:

Actually, this is the only one nice shot out of a series of 24 :!: I learnt it the hard way :( before Gordon started the dSLR Tips site and the useful guides.

I tried various combinations of speed and aperture, but I didn't manage to identify the best one. Is it better to have a faster speed or a slower speed :?: The problem is to avoid burnt lights :idea: and uniformity, since there is some fog on the air.

Gordon, what do you recommend :?:

Best regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rei, that's hard to answer if there's mist or fog, or flashing lights - you have to experiment until you get the look you're after! And with night photography, sometimes the best-looking shot comes from the settings you least expected!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:54 pm 
I loooooooooove night fotography, for some reaons i think that the lighting comes out surealistic but still its the way that you can take it!

but here your number one freind is surley ur tripod as u stated gorodon in that workshop! (and its is great) honestly i understand more of DSLR's then never before thanxs to ur worksops

back on topic

here is a shot that i took about 1 month after i go the camera, this is when i fell in love with night fotography. These shots were taking in teh beautiful city of Budapest, Hungary

If i kne how to take photos and i had a tripod i think this photo would have turned out great

the parlament in budapest, maybe the aperture time was a little too long

i m personaly very fond of these shots, when it comes to the compostion of them, when it comes ot qualty/noise ehh not really so good hehe but it kidna shows what u can do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:01 am 
Site Admin

Great shots Alex!

Another interesting trick to try is adjusting the white balance.

If it's set to auto or daylight, then most city and building lights will have an orangey appearence, but by setting a tungsten or custom white balance you can make them appear a more neutral white.

Here's I composite photo I took of the Sydney Central Business Distrct from the Opera House:

On the left half is with auto white balance and on the right, half, tungsten white balance.

Now this won't correct orange sodium street lighting, but it can whiten office lighting or lamps used to illuminate buildings...

Which is preferrable is personal, but it's a useful option to remember. And if you shoot RAW, it can be switched in a second!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 am 
yeah those shots where shon auto i think!

because u can see that they have that yellowish that you said it would!

and looking from your images if you get the white balance correct it looks alot better, i have to agree to that. I will start reading up on my white balance for nightime photography, thanx for the tip gordon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Well, I'm not sure it looks better - it looks *different*! Depends which you prefer...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:01 am 
well it looks more natural, maybe that is what i was trying to say.

Of course it all comes down to a sens of taste, but now i know why all the shots turned out yellowish, looking back at the rest of my nightshots they r all a bit yellowish. Now i knw why :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:00 pm 
Gordon, i've also tried the 'white balance trick'..here's one of the example..

for the first picture, i set auto white balance..and for the second picture, i change the white balance to fluorescent..i like both pictures as the first one looks more natural and the second one have the golden colour..

Post subject: Flash???
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:11 pm 
Hi Gordon,

All your tips are gr8.. I have a doubt in this tip... do we have to use flash in this technique..

Thanks,
Vijay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Hi Vijay, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

The flash is optional - you'd only use it when there's someone in front of the scene. Remember the flash is only effective over a few meters, so it's fine for illuminating someone nearby, but will have no effect on the distant subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:25 am 

Gordon,

Thanks for the white balance tip: I'd check this parameter next time :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:11 am 

...White Balance...oh gosh >_<

I thought there was something wrong when I tried it. So simple it flew right over my head!

I'll be sure to try this at some point on the forth road/rail bridge :)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:49 am 
Gordon - thanks for another workshop. A bit late in the day perhaps, but I've only been spurred into some lateral thinking by another thread (see here) and it reminded me of a useful technique for long exposure night photography and preventing overexposure from light sources: a piece of black card.

Would it be worth a mention?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Sure thing! This thread is for suggestions on the particular workshop theme along with sharing photos taken using this and similar techniques... so fire away!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next