Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: still images and video
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:53 am 
I have a Nikon 1 V1 camera. I note that video and still images can be acquired at the same time. Do you know of a way to get still images from a video recording?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:31 am 

Since the camera has two separate buttons for stills and video recording, would you not depress the shutter button whilst you're recording in video mode?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:02 pm 
Stevec - Maybe I'm taking you too literally - but do you mean frames out of the actual video, as images at 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720?

Some cameras allow you to do this, by manually scrolling a recorded video until you have the frame you need, then you can save that frame as a JPEG.

Where the cameras don't allow this - you can use a PC program that allows the video to be opened, slider or other mode advanced to the position needed, and ability to do a frame-by-frame forward-reverse selection. Then can save that image to a Destination.

If your present processing / editing doesn't have this, Avidemux (free for Windows, Linux and Mac) does it very easily. It can Save Frames as JPEG or BMP. Bitmap is a much less lossy format than JPEG - save the frame as BMP, than save Copies to work on in PSD/Photoshop, XCF/Gimp, or TIFF (works in both of those programs) - to work on.

As you are seeing the frames you are selecting to Save in Avidemux's View Panel - can be a bit like looking at images in a camera LCD - can "look sharp and good" - until viewed onscreen later... To give more chances of selecting-out the "best available" image - find what looks like the best image. Now on the Slider Bar below - move the control back (to the left) a few frames.

Now click on the "A" Selector button to mark the position in the video. From there, go forward frame-by-frame (Right Arrow) - until a few frames past what you thought was the "best" image. Then click the "B" Selector button to end the selection region.

Go to "File > Save > Save Selection as JPEG images" - and Save the "bunch" of images.

Hint - DON'T alter the settings in Avidemux yet. In Linux, on another Desktop open the images in a Viewer or Editor to check them. In Windows with single Desktop, you could Minimise Avidemux to allow Viewing in another program.

Once you see which frame really is "the best" - go back to Avidemux - and to that particular frame inside the "bunch" selection. Go to "File > Save > Save BMP Image" - and save that image only (it can't save Bitmap in multis, anyway.) You can of course save more than one image as BMP.

If the above isn't too clear - Post back - we can take it from there....

Regards, Dave.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:34 am 
Thank you Dave, that is what I wanted to know. I will try it and get back to you if I need help. Cheers, Steve