Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question about Picasso 3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:19 pm 
First time using it and my new Canon S100 camera. Was fooling around with the camera taking some random test shots (little regard for composition/framing...etc.). Just fired away.

When I viewed the photos using Picassa 3 the photos had a purple tint. Why?

When viewed using Canon's photo browsing program there was no purple tint. Looked as it should. As it did on the LCD display on the back of my P&S.

What gives?

...tried to paste a sample photo...didn't see option for that nor could I simply paste the photo under a paragraph as you would in an email or word processing doc...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:49 am 

While not a concrete answer...here is what I have that might shed some light on the issue.

1- I've been using Picasa (Mac and PC) since 2008 with my Canon SD1100 (point and shoot, JPG output). No issues with color on these shots.
2- I briefly tested Picasa on my Mac with my Canon T3i RAW files. I don't recall seeing any issue but I wasn't really looking for much there and was more surprised they even loaded.
3- Found this on a brief search of google forums
Quote:
RAW formats are proprietary and vary with the camera manufacturer and model. New RAW formats are periodically added to new versions of Picasa, so it may just be a matter of time before import support is added for that particular format. There is no published schedule, so we don't know if or when this might happen. In any case, there will be no advantage to using the RAW format within Picasa, even it if does read them. Picasa is not a RAW processor and can export only JPGs

So, depending on the format of the file your S100 is producing, it is potentially just a limit of Picasa for the time being until the software is updated. Maybe try other formats if they are possible and see if the tint disappears.

-Kirk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:58 am 
Since I posted I ended up trying another free photo browser called Fast Stone Image Viewer. No purple tint to my photos. It's obvious. This happened to some one else (I asked in another forum). Also with Picassa 3. They might be slow to update their builds.

The 2 Canon software supplied with my s100 works fine. No purple tint.

Have yet to try on my iMac which has Lightroom (latest version before the recently announced 4.0) and CS5. Will definitely try my s100 RAW files on my iMac when I get home from LA later this year.

Btw...I tried loading the latest build of Picassa 3. Still no luck. So I uninstalled it from my HP laptop (Win 7).

I feel my problem has been solved so I'm bowing out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:30 am 

I find you can get odd colour tints in picasa if you have a raw file with blown highlights. Personally I don't use picasa to do raw conversion, only as an image browser, so it doesn't matter to me.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.