Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm 
Hi Guys,

I want to buy a cokin filter holder and some square ND filters.

But judging from the way its constructed it looks like its not designed to be used with wide angle lenses ? Because the sides which have the ridges for the filters itself is about half an inch outward which might bite into any wide angles ?

Because i was planning to get the 77mm cokin holder for my Sigma 10-20mm lens but it looks like the sides of the holder will come into the picture ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 pm 

Yeah you'll get vignetting, probably from ~16mm and up. If you use round screw-in filters it's not a problem though (I enver noticed any vignetting with a 77mm polarizer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:59 pm 
Yes screw in filters dont pose a problem. No vigntetting with my uv filter and a circular polarizer stacked onto my sigma 10-20mm at the same time.

Only thing they are a bit painful to keep screwing in and out. Also sometimes with ND10 etc. Wed have to focus without the nd filter and then screw the filter in. While screwing it in after focussing, there are a lot of chances to screw things up :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:17 pm 

You can get away with about 12mm at the widest setting with the filter on. You can be a bit cheeky and just rest the filter holder on the end of the lens, it's the perfect size. I did this while I waited for the 77mm adapter ring to come and it was fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:21 am 
I'm a bit late to the party on this one.

I've been considering ND and GND for a while now. You're right, the Cokin ones do seem to vignette, according to most reviews, but they do offer a wideangle version which doesn't stick out as much.

In terms of impact on image quality though, you're better off with the Lee filters, they're 105mm wide, have no pink colour-cast and they also sell a dedicated wide angle holder.

The other reason not to get screw-in GND is that you can't reposition the horizon line! the location of the horizon on the filter is where it's staying - a square filter can be slid up or down.