Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:50 am 

Hi All,

I searched on lens cleaning in the forums and didn't get too far. It is probably there but would appreciate direct advice or the links please.

I am after a list of basic lens and camera cleaning gear/consumables that one needs to carry in the field/on holiday.

There are many brands out there when checking the web and I am getting a bit confused as to what minimum items I really need.

As I am getting back into photography post kids and have recently purchased our first SLR and lenses since film was the only medium I would appreciate your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:43 am 

I'd suggest getting a blower, a "lens pen", and optionally pre-moistened wipes.

The blower is only any good for removing loose particles of dust, but is can also be used on the camera sensor as well as on lenses. The lens pen has two sides, a brush which can be used for more stubborn dust particles, and a pad on the other end which can help with removing fingerprints and the like. Both of these are widely available under different brands and there's not really much to choose between them.

You can also consider disposable wipes pre-moistened with cleaning fluid. I never bought them myself but I know a semi-pro who runs big cat photoshoots who swears by the Zeiss branded ones. I'm less paranoid so I've used my sleeve before if I needed emergency cleaning in the field, although many will state that there is a chance any dirt on my sleeve could scratch the lens. I don't usually even bother cleaning minor dirt, only doing so when it gets so bad it starts to noticeably affect image quality.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:13 pm 

I use a very fine synthetic paint brush for brushing away the dust or very small sand particals. A microfiber cloth would scratch the lens if you would try rubbing the sand away with it. That's why i tend to use that brush. Bought it in a Painting shop for artists.

If i still have oil smudges or something that cannot be cleaned just by using my microfiber cloth, i use Isopropyl Alcohol (80% or more). The alcohol evaporates very fast.
The Sensor itself i have never needed to clean so far. Never clean Sensor with fluids.

Seemed the cheapest and the best solution.
1 litre of alcohol (20$)
Paint brush (20$)
Fibre cloth (10$)