Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shooting lightning?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:12 pm 
Alright a few questions because I failed miserably last time..

- Do you have to be far away from the actual storm?

- How do you focus correctly?

- You keep your ISO low and your aperture small right?

Any other tips and tricks are very welcome.
Oh yes the one thing I already know is you need a long shutter to "catch" the lightning.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:27 pm 

I've never tried, but this is how I would do it. I'd have ISO100, aperture f/8 or so, and shutter speed on bulb. Set focus mode to manual and focus to infinity. It might be easier if you are on focus auto, focus on some distant object, say, the moon, and then go to manual and keep the focus distance to what your camera "choose".

Once all this is done, I'd open the shutter, wait for lighting to strike, then close the shutter. You will find a remote trigger is almost necessary for this.

Care to post some shots that you didn't like so we could see them and better diagnose your problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:38 pm 
Yes about that.. I actually diden't even get to taking shots. There was a storm near my house but it wasen't raining yet, so i thought: oh cool I might get some great pic's. I go out and take my scooter to a nearby field to avoid street lighting. I set my camera down and like 10 seconds later it went from no wind to a huge storm with allot rain, this happend in about 5 seconds so i barely had time to pack up my camera and get out of there since I diden't have my coat on or anything like that :D It kinda took me by suprise and really made me feel small compared to the awesome forces of nature..

Anyway next time I want to be prepared, I'll propably be getting a gorillapod soon too because setting the camera down somewhere isen't always that easy. Thanks for the advice though!