Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: sensor size
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am 

Simple question I hope : is the sensor size the most important for final quality of the pictures (except the lens) ?
I own the Sony HX9V (16Mp and sensor size 1/2.3 - Lens 3,5 - 5,9) . I see the new Panasonic DMC LF1 ( I know the Panasonic brand as I have the old TZ7) this new camera have a zoom 28-200 Lens 2-5,9 and the size of the sensor is 1/1.7.
Back to my question: will the quality of the shots be better with the new Panasonic vs my Sony ?
(obviously I'm not talking about me as photographer but only to know if in a print of 20x30 cm the final quality will be clear).
Thanks
Cesare :oops:

Post subject: Re: sensor size
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:52 pm 

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer. There are many many factors which go into picture quality.

I'm no techie, but I believe it's the size of the sensor pixels which is very important (assuming the same generation of technology).

Many compact cameras have large MP counts because consumers are told to think it's important. Their sensors are not only small, but with 18 million pixels crammed on there, each one is tiny, so their light gathering abilities are low. If I were to buy a compact camera, I'd want one with a low MP count.

A higher pixel count only is generally beneficial under ideal lighting conditions (plenty of light, and not too much contrast).

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 pm 

As kimchi noted, pixel pitch/density/size is the actual criterion you're looking to compare in the "sensor size" rule of thumb. So even here, the 12MP LF1 would have an advantage.

On the other hand, I think the LF1 being a "generation" newer (the HX9V is two years old) would have more of an impact. Especially since there really isn't much of a size difference until you move up to a 1" sensor (or larger). e.g. the HX9V's 1/2.3 sensor is only 1.5X smaller than the LF1's 1/1.7 sensor, while the HX9V's sensor is more than 4X smaller than a 1" sensor (in a Sony RX100, for example) and nearly 8X smaller than a 4/3 sensor.

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 am 

I think that you Maestro are right. Too little difference in sensor size but I was thinking also about the ratio between the sensor size and pixel density . My Sony have 16 Mp in 1//2.3 sensor while the the LF1 have 12 Mp in 1/1.7 sensor size. I know that it should be better to look at bigger sensor but the problem is the size and weight of the camera . I use my camera only in travel (usually in foreign countries) and I need to find a compromise between a camera to put in shirt pocket and the final quality.
Finally - frankly speaking - if I glance at my pictures (printed) done with my old Fuji EXRF200 - Panasonic T3 - Panasonic TZ7 and now Sony HX9V I do not see great differences ; the truth is that me , as many amateurs photographers , I hope that a new camera is the way to get better pictures .... but often is just an excuse to buy another camera. :!:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:13 pm 

[quote="Maestro"]As kimchi noted, pixel pitch/density/size is the actual criterion you're looking to compare in the "sensor size" rule of thumb. So even here, the 12MP LF1 would have an advantage.

On the other hand, I think the LF1 being a "generation" newer (the HX9V is two years old) would have more of an impact. Especially since there really isn't much of a size difference until you move up to a 1" sensor (or larger). e.g. the HX9V's 1/2.3 sensor is only 1.5X smaller than the LF1's 1/1.7 sensor, while the HX9V's sensor is more than 4X smaller than a 1" sensor (in a Sony RX100, for example) and nearly 8X smaller than a 4/3 sensor.

HTH - Mark[/quote]

I add a brief comment : the Pana FL1 sensor size is 7,44x5,58 = 41,51 while the sensor size of the Fuji F900EXR is 6,4x4,8 = 30,72
As in LF1 we have 12Mp we have 41,51 : 12 = 3,45 and in the Fuji 30,72 : 16 = 1,92
If I understand well every pixel in the Panasonic is nearly the double in surface
Am I right ?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:12 am 

Your calculations look right to me. Just don't forget that there are other factors, as well--newer sensor tech, different processing engines, etc.