Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 pm 

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have been reading for a while now. However there is one question that I keep asking myself when I see al these great pictures!
When do you take those, and by that I mean.. do U go out and look for a good picture or do you just take your camera with you most of the time? Or some other time? I'm curious to know :D

Yeah so when do you take your pictures? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:29 pm 

Well, Im thinking of putting my FZ28 in my schoolbag, so when Im going to school I can quick take a picture. Quite often I see things I really want to photograph, but of course I dont have always a camera with me. Maybe I should just buy an FZ7 or so to really throw it in my bag, my FZ28 is as new and Id like to keep it like that....

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:04 pm 

my camera is wwith me 24/7 but I get most of my shots when I actively go out looking.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:58 pm 

Three styles of shooting for me:

1. I go out with a plan and intent to shoot, know where I'm headed, and bring all needed equipment for the job. Usually this is on weekends or vacations, when I'm out birding or shooting landscape, architecture, night, or travel.

2. I bring my DSLR with me with no real plan or intent. This also falls on a weekend, when I may just go for a drive, or to a friend's house, and bring the camera with me in case something strikes me as worth stopping and shooting - I may randomly decide to pop into a cool church to shoot, or photograph a garden or butterflies.

3. I either cannot or will not bring my DSLR, usually when I'm working during the weekdays, on business, going to meetings, seeing clients, commuting, etc. In which case I always have my ultracompact P&S on me, for those 'just-in-case, wish-I-had-a-camera' moments. I can still get better results and more control out of a dedicated P&S than a phone camera, so I stick with the P&S...maybe the day will come that a phone supplants the ultracompact, but not yet. I can't stand to not have any camera on me, so whenever the DSLR isn't with me, the ultracompact is.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 am 

Similar situations to the above...

You plan a photo shoot trip and have an idea about the location and what you will need.

You take your camera kit and go looking for a shot.

as well as...

You see something (don't have your gear with you) and it gives you an idea for a shot, so you try to recreate a similar situation when you can get to your gear.

You see something (in the house, or out the window) and your camera is to hand so you grab it and take the shot.

You read about a technique or see a shot on Camera Labs (or somewhere else) and try to expand your knowledge by trying it out for yourself.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 am 

I once travelled across the province to a shipmates funeral without my camera figuring I wouldn't need/use it why take it....
About 20km from home I came across 5 Wild Turkeys standing on the roadside in the middle of nowhere with the closest houses about 10km away.
We don't have Wild Turkeys supposedly in Nova Scotia.
That was ...the last time... I left the camera home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:52 pm 

Thanks for al the replies so far.. at first i diden't really get when I was actually going to take pictures.. but then I saw this while driving home from school..

And I believe I get it now.. You can tell I was almost to late because I had to go home to get my camera and then come back.

Haha and I also noticed al the people were lookin' at me like they had never seen someone taking a picture before, do you guys get that? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:05 pm 

I agree with everything that has been said here.

@Matz: Yes, all the time. Get used to it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:53 pm 

Quote:
and I also noticed al the people were lookin' at me like they had never seen someone taking a picture before, do you guys get that?
Yup, I was taking a shot of what I thought was an interesting shaped tree. Had a couple of people pass me and try to work out why I was taking that shot.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:47 pm 

"Quote:
and I also noticed al the people were lookin' at me like they had never seen someone taking a picture before, do you guys get that?"

Not too many people around when I'm chasing critters. :twisted:

"I can enjoy society in a room; but out of doors, nature is company enough for me. ~William Hazlitt"

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:42 am 

I take pictures whenever I see something interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:07 pm 

@eVolutioN

So you take your camera with you al the time.. because if you don't you can't make pictures of everthing you see that interests you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:54 am 

Hi Matz45

Yes it happens for me everytime when i take my 70-200 F2.8 IS mk2 lens as its huge and it will give me lot of unwanted attention.. Forget abt taking photos on streets , even when i am at zoo or some other places where everybody holds their own photo gear in their hands but i still do get this attention and they are curious to know what gear i am holding. It irritates me but then there is no other choice as i havent bought this lens to keep it at home just bcoz i am getting unwanted attention from the people.

My suggestion take ur camera with you all the time , my advice for you is cover a lens which suits to both portraits and telephoto , that saves time for you to change your lens every now and then before u miss your interesting subject.

This is my two cents.

Cheers
Mano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:14 pm 

Matz45 wrote:
@eVolutioN

So you take your camera with you al the time.. because if you don't you can't make pictures of everthing you see that interests you.

Yes I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 am 

I generally carry my compact in my coat pocket everywhere I go, however sometimes I'm reluctant to take it on extremely cold days. It's a decent way to get some nice snapshots outdoors when something interesting happens.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams