Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:54 pm 
thanks in advance to Gordon and the cameralabs team, this site and the attached tutorials/recommendations have been a great help to me along this process. frankly, if not for this space making it seem practically possible to actually take neat pictures - this is my first camera ever, y'know? - i might not have made the leap.

ended up scooping a canon t2i and after some pretty intense post scouring, have put together a kit that suits my overall desire for low light centric shooting, street stuff and relatively short distance portrait/nature work. it consists of:

canon 135mm f/2 - favorite lens so far. use it damn near everyday for almost everything. once you get the shot set, the results are incredible.

sigma 50mm f/1.4 - a little tough to focus, but really fun to shoot with.

tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - works well in almost every circumstance. like, if i've got one of the others on and i don't have time to set the shot up - am pretty daggone slow at this point. *embarassed* - it'll probably get missed. this one really compensates for my overall lack of skill so far.

tokina 11-16mm - brilliant landscape lens. wicked sharp, but i'm not that great at setting up good wide angle images just yet. can't see 'em in advance, y'know?

anyway, what i was hoping was that y'all could maybe take a look at some of the shots i've pulled together thus far and tell me how they might be improved. i've been a musician for years now, but never ever expected to be this satisfied by a visual-centric type hobby. taking photos is wicked fun, and i'd love to get better at it. so, any advice you have to offer, i'd happily receive. thanks in advance, and for reading.

phase 2 - peeping. by tayoisnt, on Flickr

shook. by tayoisnt, on Flickr

part of the beginning. by tayoisnt, on Flickr

before the sit. by tayoisnt, on Flickr

taxis and moons. by tayoisnt, on Flickr

leaf dinghy. by tayoisnt, on Flickr

quiet hyperbole. by tayoisnt, on Flickr

blurred baking. by tayoisnt, on Flickr

Last edited by tay on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:09 am 
Really nice shots mate (I love part of the beginning)! Are you new to photography? Nice kit as well, glad you went for the faster glass instead of kit lenses!

Anyway welcome to cameralabs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:20 am 
thanks jeremy, i really appreciate that.

and yep, i'm totally new to photography. as in, the t2i is my first ever camera. it's such a fun and satisfying hobby, finding new ways to document the world.

also, yep, the lenses really do make it so much easier to find great images. the kit lens gets a bad rap, i think. during the day, it's really solid at doing some basic work. soon as it hits dusk, though, gotta pop on one of the primes to get anything useable done, though.

so, thanks again, have a solid night!