Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where to start?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:28 am 
Howdy ho, everyone! My name is Olivia and I'm a newbie to the forums here. I've been a fan of the Camera Labs website for the past 5 months and I've finally decided to take the plunge and get myself a camera. I've read all of the reviews on the site and drooled at the sight of cameras, but never knew what to invest in. As a matter of fact, I still don't know what to invest in. I was thinking that it would help for me to join the discussion and see what you guys could recommend. Either way, I'm super stoked to be here. I can't wait to learn lots about photography and hopefully see some of your work.

Take care, guys!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:24 am 

Hi olivia,
Welcome to cameralabs.
Before you can start to think about what camera to get you need to set yourself a budget or you will never find one. Also what type of camera are you looking for. Point and shoot, bridge or dslr.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:08 pm 

I agree with the above comment, it's all about what you can afford. I would suggest an entry-level DSLR, it can do all the things talked about on here but keeps the price down and makes it easier than ever for people like you who have never owned one before.

If I were you, I would consider these two groups:
http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... mera.shtml
http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:35 am 
In my opinion I believe its best to start with the minimum kit a DLSR camera and 1 lens.
Personally I would go for the best you can afford as in the long run it reduces how often you will change cameras which is much more expensive (I have had a total of 2 DSLR's a D200 & now a D7000) or if unsure if you will stick to it as a hobby a second hand DSLR wont break the bank but you still can learn all the basics and give photography a try. Don't be fooled by salesmen trying to sell you everything including the kitchen sink saying you'll need this this that and the other.
All you need in my opinion to start out is a camera, a lens with a UV or skylight filter to protect it and a memory card & lenses cleaning kit. software either comes with a new camera or if not Gimp is free to download and works fine for starting out.
Join a decent photographic club in the USA look for one affiliated to the Photographic Society of America in the UK The Royal Photographic Society this is my best advice you will get mountains of help, get to look at gear that the owners have had more than just a few days playing with to reach a conclusion on and all it costs is a small annual fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:18 am 

@Lee. Lenses have a bigger effect on the picture than the camera. It is better to buy a decent camera and better lenses than a really good camera and bad lenses. I would never buy something like a 1000d but start with a mid range camera like the 550d

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:00 pm 
Sorry but I am going to disagree with all the previous posts. I know that is not very helpful when you are trying to reach a decision on what camera to get but we all have different opinions.
For my first digital camera I would get an inexpensive compact, say a Canon A495 or similar model. Why? It will be easy to use and easy to carry around with you at all times. It will give decent picture quality for the money and will enable you to see if you really will sustain an interest in photography.
The basics such as proper framing, exposure, choice of shooting angle etc can all be practiced just as easily on a compact as a DSLR at much less cost.
After a while you may then want to upgrade to a DSLR in which case your compact will still be handy as a back-up go-anywhere camera or you can pass it on to a friend or relative who may be interested in taking up photography.
Good luck! :D