Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Night Time Settings?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:20 am 
I am new to the whole camera thing and really want to learn a bit. I am taking my kids to the Christmas parade tomorrow and want to take some photos of the parade and also of our kids there. I don't want to use the flash because I want the whole night time effect with the Christmas lights. I have a new Canon XS20 and have not been able to figure out much on it although I have been practising. Can someone give me some tps on what settings I should use for the above mentioned condition? I will not be using a tripod although I know alot of people will stress to use one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:29 pm 
Unfortunately, you need to use the flash if you are going to photograph people or moving subjects at night.You will need to drag the shutter to capture some ambient light (1/20th of a second should be enough, but experiment with this). Alternatively, you can use your camera's highest iso setting and hope for your images to come out motion-blurred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:53 am 

+1 - as high ISO as you can go, with a wide an aperture as you can get.

Keep the camera as steady and secure as possible, and fire away. You may get some keepers, so don't be shutter shy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:49 pm 
Shutter release cable and tripod is strongly recommended in low-light photography. Use biggest aperture if you were unsure about settings for now. Highest ISO for quick-fix (for now).
Hold camera or find a study place to support your camera and use self-timer eg 10s.

Hope it helps.