Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Will This Lens Fit ??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:49 am 

Hi all,

After a day of research into a new lens I realise I'm none the wiser. The photo bug has bit hard and I've realised that the type of photography I'm really enjoying is macro photography.

So, that leads me to my question - will the Canon - EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens fit on my EOS 1000D ? I can not find a definitive answer on any website and there are even some sites that contradict themselves :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:20 am 
The definitive answer: yes.

All EF lenses fit on the 1000D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:57 am 
EF works on call canon dslrs. EF-S works only on crop frame sensor canon dslrs.40D,1000D,500D,550D,60d,7d for example are crop frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:41 am 

You can use EF lenses on Full Frame and crop, but you can only use EF-S on crop. It's the same deal as the Nikon DX lenses and FX lenses. Remember that when you use a crop lens on Full Frame, it makes the lens wider (A lower mm number), causing some vignetting. Although, when you use a Full Frame lens on a crop sensor, it makes it a longer lens (A higher mm number), meaning that there'll be no vignetting, just a longer lens. Note that EF telephoto lenses will be even longer on a crop sensor, although so will wide angle lenses making them less useful for wide angle shots!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:18 am 
Actually, all lenses will have a narrower field of view when used on a cropped sensor body. The difference between fullframe lenses and aps optimized lenses is that the image circle created is smaller for aps lenses

Post subject: Also possible damage...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:23 pm 

Not just vignetting... but also possible damage!

All EF lenses will fit a cropped sensor cameras, but EF-S lenses are potentially dangerous to full-frame cameras.

EF-S lenses are a little longer in the back (they go into the camera body a little farther in when installed). If you put an EF-S lens on a full frame camera and it doesn't give you an error code (it did not give an error code on an EOS 10D I tested with an 18-200 EF-S), the mirror will likely hit the back of the lens when it flips up... the next step in the process is to log onto Adorama or B&H and get a new camera (or have the mirror replaced).

I just noticed this is my first post here... on an 8 month old thread. :-)

Canon EOS 50D | Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS | Vivitar DF 383 Series 1 | CowboyStudio NPT-04