Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 pm 

Hi,
I have just purchesed a canon 550d with canon 18-55mm and tamron 75-300mm lens and am started to get interested in sports photography. 90% of the time it is during mid day so lighting isnt a problem. I am going to start practising and was interested to now what sort of settings i should put the camera on. Should i use a big or small f number. Do i keep the camera still or move it whilst taking the picture. Any general tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:52 am 

Hi James

What kind of sports are you thinking of shooting? Are you getting close to the subject?

For fast moving sports I would keep the camera on continual autofocus and keep your shutter speeds slightly faster than the reciprocal of the focal length (i.e. if you're shooting at 200mm, then keep the shutter speed at 1/250th or quicker). This way you will eliminate as much blur in your shot as possible. Now, if you're shooting aircraft or fast moving motor sports you will then have to practise your panning. Gordon has put a good video tutorial on this on this site.

If there's a lot of fast paced action, and light is changing with the sun appearing and disappearing behind clouds, try putting your camera on shutter priority and dialing in a comfortable shutter speed. That way the camera will adjust aperture and/or ISO automatically so you can concentrate more on getting the shot.

If you're shooting at a game of football or something similar and the subject is more static, then you might want to put the camera into aperture priority to give you more control over depth of field and subject isolation.

I'd just practise and practise though. If you're practising panning, then try Gordon's tutorial and then try it for yourself by standing back from a roadside and seeing how slow you can get your shutter speed on moving cars before you don't get any keepers at all due to subject blur. As your technique improves you'll be able to get it slower...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:55 pm 

Thanks very much for the advise. I will mainly be shooting fast paced sports like rugby and football. Will definitely give those settings a go and see if i get some good photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:37 am 

Hi James,

This link on the forum is a similar query to yours.

Cheers

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24291

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:37 pm 

thanks for the link thae posts there offer some very good advice on sports photography. I had my first go at sports photography today and am impressed with the results I got . The pictures where ok but for a first attempt I am very happy. I used shutter priority mode and set the shutter speed to 1/750. Does this sound about right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:17 am 

James, if your shots came out sharp with the action then the speed is right, then again if you want motion blur you would want to slow it down. There's heaps of info on the forum for this including the tutorials.

Why not post a shot or two?

Cheers