Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:21 am 

What's the use of this modes.. I cant understand how to use it :cry:

Evaluative Metering - idivides the scenes into several sections or zones which are evaluated individually so the system can select the best possible exposure for the entire scene including those who are backlit.

Center Weighted Metering - meters the entire scene but assign the most importance to the center where the most important objects usullay are located. This mode is good when shooting a large main subject againts a very bright or very dark backgorund.

Spot AE Point - measure a small section of the scene, the portion within the spot metering frame displayed on the screen. This is ideal when potographing subject againts bright or dark background.

can some one explain it to me clearly on how to use it and it'll be much better if you post sample pics with that 3 different modes.

Thanx & Best Regards :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:29 am 

In addition to that, can you please also tell me on what kind of photography i can use that 3 different metering modes?

for example..

Spot Metering - Silhouette Photography etc.. etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:55 am 

Sorry I can't post any samples as I cancelled my photo hosting site subscription. I will help as much as I can though.
Evaluative metering is ok when you are shooting a landscape or a street scene and there is not too much difference between the light values in the frame. In fact most people use eval. most of the time as it is the default for auto on most cameras and is the best setting for most situations.
Spot metering is best if there is a strong disparity between areas of your frame and you want to ensure the subject is correctly exposed. An example of this may be in a club if you want to photograph the performer/musician and ignore the influence of stage lights on your metering. A lot of people use it for portraits also to get your model correctly exposed. Centre-weighted is similar but allows for the metering to sample a wider area around the subject. Personally i rarely use it, sticking to either eval. or spot. Hope this helps a bit but I am sure other BMs will offer more advice and possibly a sample or two.

I know a little about a lot, a lot about little and everything about nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:14 pm 

Think of it as wide (evaluative, or multipoint), portrait (centerweight), or narrow (spot)...which is basically how those 3 metering modes work. The evaluative metering considers your entire scene as one uniform thing, which needs to be metered for a properly measured exposure - landscapes, wide shots of buildings, etc - where there may be a dark shadow area in there, a bright highlight or two in there, but the camera is essentially going to ignore those and go for an overall metering. An example of an evaluative/multipoint metering shot:

Note that the metering didn't really care that along the pond shore, under the walkway, there are some pretty deep shadows - its goal was to try to get the entire scene to not be too bright, or too dark.

Spot metering is exactly the opposite - it is telling the camera to completely ignore the entire scene with regards to metering, and strictly concentrate on the very center area (usually indicated on your camera's screen as a circle or bracketed area around the center point). This is needed when you have a subject that is crucial to get properly metered, that is in an extremely contrasty situation where it is the opposite of its surroundings...say a small dark bug against a brightly lit background, or a pinpoint of bright light against a dark background. An example of spot metering:

Note the light was all kinds of mixed here, so multi was having trouble showing the highlight areas in detail since the shadows were in majority...centerweight couldn't get enough of exclusively highlight area to get it right either - both kept blowing it out - so switching to spot let me put the point on a precise area - the restaurant across the way ont he 2nd floor rail...and get the metering right.

Centerweight metering is one I use a lot - actually I'm in that mode virtually all the time. I consider it a 'portrait' type mode, even though i don't use it in portraits. It's the in-betweener mode to the two above. If you wanted to take a photo of a person standing in front of a scenic backdrop...and let's say that person had dark hair and fair skin, and was in a slightly shadowed spot, but the background was much brighter. Evaluative metering would expose that big, wide background very nicely, but that would leave the person plunged in shadow, and poorly rendered. Spot meter might get the exposure fine on the person, but could result in blown background since it was ignored. Centerweight basically meters the entire scene like in evaluative, but it also analyzes what's in the spot area, and when calculating the exposure, it gives a bit more weight to what it sees in the center, rather than weighing them equally. It can allow you to get a darker subject against a brighter background better exposed yet without sacrificing the background to the blown-highlights gods. an example of center weighted metering:

Note how there is enough detail on the dark hawk that would have been a silhouette, but the sky in the background also managed to get controlled enough to avoid any harsh blown highlights...the clouds come close, but it's a nice middle ground for me.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:39 pm 

Here’s another example of Spot Metering in Aperture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:51 am 

wow! thanx to all who help me understand.. i really appreciate it..

i just bought canon sx20 is and im just playing all the modes & controls of it that's why im asking.. also im a newbie in digital photography :P

anyway thanx alot.. if u guys know also any tips & tricks kindly pm it to me.. thanx to all..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:34 am 

There's too many to list but check out www.dslrtips.com and read about here too for ideas and tips and what not, or ask :P

Tripod: Giottos MTL9351B with a MH 5001 head.
Bag: lowepro Slingshot 202 AW. Cards: Sandisk Ultra 2, Lexar MicroSDHC.