Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 100% crop?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:50 am 

I'm not sure if I put this in the right category, though help would still be appreciated.

Over the past few weeks, I see images online that say "100% crop". What's the meaning of this? Keep it simple please!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:55 am 

If you view a "100% crop" of an image you view it at 1:1 pixel ratio. This means that 1 pixel on the image is one 1 pixel on the screen.

When I pixel peep my images I view them at 100%. Usually just to check focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:14 pm 

An crop is when you take a picture, lets say of your house, and you select a small area of your picture, lets say a door handle, and you remove the rest of the image.

So, lets say your original image of the house is 5000 x 2500 pixels, which does not fit on your computer screen, so when you view it, you might view it at 25% or something like that, unless you set the zoom at 100% and only view some of the image.

Now, lets say your door knob is in that picture is 200 x 200 pixels, you can cut that out from the picture, and make a new file with it. That new 200 x 200 pixel file fits perfectly in your computer screen or a website, and is called a 100% crop. This way, you can show the quality of the image while viewed at 100% zoom, without having to share a 8mb picture that's 3 or 4 times bigger than your computer screen.

The reviewers show 100% crops to give you an idea what it would look like if you view the image at 100%. Lenses have different image quality (IQ) at different places of a picture, so Camera Labs website shows you the full pictures scaled down, so you know what you're looking at, and then shows you the 100% crop in the center of the picture, which is where the lenses perform best, and then near the border of the picture, where the lenses perform worst.

I hope that helps!